Monday, October 16, 2006

Oregon and England

There is something strange going on in the country. In three days I have seen three non-Americans wearing Oregon memorabilia. The first time was on an older English gentleman at Osbourne House wearing a duck jacket. And then today I saw a younger Asian man wearing a duck sweatshirt, and about ten minutes after that I saw another English gentleman wearing a sweatshirt that says Oregon, but was not related to the ducks or Nike.

What is going on here? Why this fascination with Oregon? My personal belief is that it's a funny word, because you know, it is. I might also add that in this same time period, aside from perhaps an odd Yankees hat or a New York t-shirt, I have seen no references to any American state on any piece of clothing and no other American university items. When I went to open my bank account, the lady was looking at my passport and goes just goes "Oregon" (which is listed as my place of birth) like it said Myanmar or something and I needed to be treated with special care having come from such a place. The people I have spoken to about states seem to know of Oregon and it's existence, so they obviously have some idea what they're getting into. Aside from the general world-wide prevelance of Nike, I have no idea what could possibly be going on here. I have not had the nerve to walk up to any of these people and ask them about it, but perhaps if I see any more I might be obliged to say something.

Anyways, that's all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's funny! maybe they've heard of the oregon trail. maybe they played the game in school...? maybe they think you still get around in conestogas and think it's funny. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I think Oregon is getting to be known as the beverage capital of the world (beer, wine, coffee) as well as being into the whole sustainability thing and local transit and liveability before the rest of the U.S. Oregon is definitely the coolest place in the whole U.S. I'll see if I can't find a shirt that covers all that and send it along.

Anonymous said...

Go Ducks!

Anonymous said...

NO! Washington rulz!

Anonymous said...

Washington did not rule on saturday. grrrr. Maybe we should all move.

Anglo Mango said...

Someone told me last week that they had heard that the people who lived in Portland were the happiest in the US. Perhaps Oregon has secretly hired a PR firm to promote itself in the UK.

Anonymous said...

I think all the beer, wine, coffee, etc., make us all very happy. So does riding around on the streetcar and MAX so we don't have to drive and park--especially nice in that big free zone. The music scene is just getting better and better, too.

Go BEAVS!

Anonymous said...

Should we send you some Beaver gear to pass around? Maybe you could make it a contest for people to win the shirts.

Anonymous said...

i saw a bumper sticker that said "keep portland WEIRD."