Thursday, October 12, 2006

Neighbours

Today I got to witness something first hand that I have been hearing about for years: Neighbours, the Australian soap opera. Now, being not in America, there are bars on campus, and so after your last class of the week people go to the bar for a 'pint', which is what happened today. Now, for some reason the show Neighbours came up at lunchtime, and I was surprised to learn that everyone, that is females and males, watch this show, and have for years. The show comes on both mid-afternoon and again at 5:30 pm, so we were in the bar at 5:30, and suddenly they turn off the music and turn to this tv show, which I quickly learn is indeed Neighbours. Yes, it's apparently that important. So everyone just sort of stops what and watches this show for half an hour before continuing on with their day. From the explanations I heard, the show is just like American soap operas. One person had amnesia, there was a plane crash, and someone else was switched at birth. Yet it is some sort of international phenomenan that is a vital part of British culture. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. Mind you, I didn't really know who the people were so I wasn't that enthralled, but apparently I will learn to love it if I watch it regularly.

Aside from that, today was just a class day. One thing that we have here that never occureed in undergrad, but I suppose could happen elsewhere in grad school, is that we have classes taught by more than one professor. So on Tuesday we had a three hour afternoon class, where one guy lectured the first and third hour, and another guy taught the middle hour. And today the middle hour guy taught are late morning class and our afternoon class (which was a different class than Tuesday afternoon), but he doesn't teach those classes every week. We also get to go on a field trip to Tesco's distribution center in January. Apparently I should be excited about that.

Yogurt = yah-gert
Inventory = invent-ree

They're a funny lot. But they find it funny when I say football and apricot, so what are you going to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

try the word "aluminum" on them for size. they don't get the american version of that either.

Anglo Mango said...

Yesterday they had me repeating the world aluminum for their own amusement.

Anonymous said...

do they have that show mcleod's daughters or something like that? that's a good aussie one.