Thursday, October 19, 2006

The lingo


I have a confesssion to make: sometimes I think I might be giving in and using British sayings. Not in a 'blimey' kind of way, but I've noticed a few small things sneaking in. Like today I said maybe they are 'keen' on that. As soon as I said it I knew I had just sold myself out, just a little bit. Luckily it was subtle enough so that I don't think anyone noticed. And to counter things out, I think I am going to single-handedly get the English to start using the word sketchy.

Aside from that, I would say I have also officially become a student. I've got a group presentation the week after next on compact cities and sustainable transport. This has already required spending time in the actual library. And yesterday I used my calculator to do an actual assignment. My resistence so far has been in vain and I know that it's going to be all downhill from here on out. On the bright side, we have a field trip in two weeks to the Wroughton Science museum. Even the people from England have no idea where that is. On the way there we're going to stop and look at a bypass.

Today was also my first actual quasi-meeting with my so-called tutor. Everyone here is assigned one, and they function as your academic advisor plus a little bit more. Unfortunately for me, I have the scary beady-eyed, bearded una-bomber looking guy who gets excited about statistics. Luckily we don't need to ever talk to our tutors unless we want to.

Today's picture is of a variable message sign. It is the thing behind the road sign in the picture from a week or two ago. But they came up in class today and so I thought I would include it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sketchy is a great word to introduce. We will have to think of others, in order to keep up the potential ration of corruption.

I've actually said "keen" here, so I don't know if that's a very serious infraction. If you start shouting "Bullox!" when you drop something, we might have to start worrying.

Anonymous said...

And by "ration" I mean "ratio". It is 5:30 in the morning...