Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Canary Wharf


Hello! My little post is a little later in the day that usual. Today we had an all-time field trip for school to this convention on intelligent transport systems in London. It took 3 hours to get there and 3 hours to get back, we were there for a little over 5 hours, and we'd finished going around the booths after an hour. After an additional hour of sitting right outside eating lunch, a few of us decided to go on a little field trip, for some reason that I'm not really sure of, to relatively near-by Canary Wharf to kill some time. This involved using the East Dockland light rail system, which, although I must admit I don't really know, seems just like an extension of the tube built above ground. I must admit I was somewhat impressed, because we had to transfer going either way and each time we were actually just able to walk from one train to the other without waiting a single second. And nobody likes waiting.

As for the convention, I'm sure it would have been really quite interesing if we had had more than a single day of lectures. As it was, we didn't really know what most of the stuff was or how it applies to anything, so everyone was just going around picking up brochures and getting as much free stuff as possible, which is why it didn't really take that much time.

My apologies again for the boring post. One of the things I learned today of potential interest relates to sandwhiches. There was a something or another and 'rocket' sandwich. I was like, what is rocket? Apparently it's just a kind of lettuce. Which I must admit is a tad disappointing.

And because I know you are all curious, Canary Wharf is like the Seattle of London. It's a yuppy office area. And there's a Canada tower. They dig the Canada over here.

As with yesterday, today's photo was not taken today, but I find it to be a lovely illustration of the randomness that goes on with the roads around here.

I was also thinking of doing an entire post on the music scene here (or as much as I've been able to discern), but I don't have that much to say, so I will just add a bit at the end of this one. According to BBC, the number one song in the UK right now is ironically called 'America', by Razorlight. It's rather catchy, and you can find it on American itunes. And whenever I'm on the bus or anywhere, there is always this song called 'Never Be Lonely' by The Feeling, which is rather poppy and not on American itunes. The number 2 song is by the Scissor Sisters, who are of course American but much more popular over here. The Killers are also somewhere in the top 10.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Scissor Sisters ring tone. I don't know what the song is, but it sounds kind of disco-y. Is this the one?

Anglo Mango said...

It is kind of disco-y. It's called "I don't feel like dancin". It's like you're up on the English scene and didn't even know it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I love that song! That and "take your mama out." By the way there's an H&M here where I'm staying (outside SF)... I felt almost euro going inside...

Anglo Mango said...

If you go into H&M while listening to scissor sisters, I think you may be an honorary English person (they're totally different from the Europeans, or so they claim...).

Anonymous said...

that mama song IS good. i wish there was an h&m here...

btw i think you should mix the yogurts and see what happens.

Anglo Mango said...

I had the strawberry one today. It wasn't very good either. I'm starting to think it's just not very good yogurt. It wasn't even pink.

Anonymous said...

so if it wasn't pink, what other color are the strawberries there...?

Anglo Mango said...

Well, it was kind of gray. I don't think they bothered to really color the yogurt or something.