Friday, October 27, 2006

Chippy Butty

I swear I had a really clever topic for today's blog but I seem to have totally forgotten what it is, so it looks like I'll be winging it.

My favorite new rando-food discovery of yesterday is the Chippy Butty. Apparently it is 1) bread, 2) butter, 3) french fries, 4) bread, aka, a french fry sandwich. I'm not sure if it comes with additional french fries as a standard side order, but if the all-day breakfast does, I'm not sure why it wouldn't. I also learned the dark truth behind black pudding and promise to never, ever try it, but I did force myself to try a prawn cocktail potato chip. It wasn't good, wasn't bad, and I could find no correlation between the taste and seafood.

Now for some more Portland shout-outs. In passenger transport on Tuesday, the lecturer (who likes to write random things on the chalkboard and then circle them vigorously) was talking about light rail systems in the US, and then turned and looked straight at me and asked me some random question about the system in Pittsburgh or somewhere. I don't even know how he knew I was American. And so I was like, I only know Portland (which was on the list), and then he started asking questions about how many miles of track there were and how many trains they had and the subsidy. It was kind of strange. And then yesterday afternoon in transport policy the lecturer had a quote from the head of 1000 Friends of Oregon at the beginning of his presentation.

Yesterday was quiz night and the big final question was about the movie the Blue Brothers. And I didn't know the answer. Sad.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have failed your upbringing, mango - you didn't know a blues brother question?! i'm disappointed :-)

Anonymous said...

Portland rocks! You can get details about TriMet and light rail at http://www.trimet.org/about/index.htm and info about the streetcar at http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/history.php There are six streetcars on the route during the day. The latest is commuter heavy rail between Wilsonville and Beaverton.

You couldn't answer the Blues Brothers question? I hope your dad doesn't read that! 25 years of parenting down the drain!!

Anonymous said...

What was the question?

Anonymous said...

Please don't tell us you missed a Blues Broghers question about 'Miss Melanoma' or 'We're on a mission - from God' or worse yet 'you can't talk to nuns that way'.

Anonymous said...

I would make a blues brother comment, but everyone else seems to have covered them. Did you at least draw a picture?

I think I need to see pictures of some of these sandwiches.

Anglo Mango said...

The blues brothers questions was as follows:

In the film 'The Blues Brothers', what famous musician played the character of Curtis?

Anonymous said...

Also, what is the dark secret behind black pudding?

Anonymous said...

It's Cab Calloway...

Anglo Mango said...

Yes, it's cab calloway, but how do I know you didn't have to look that up?

And black pudding is blood. Like, coagulated blood or something of that nature. From an unknown animal.

Anonymous said...

Is it sad that blood was exactly what I was guessing? You really have to wonder about the creators of some foods. You'd have to be really desperate to be all, "I know, I'll make it out of blood!"

Gross.

Anglo Mango said...

They seem to be into using all parts of the animal. There is something else called suet (or something) that is just animal fat.

Anonymous said...

I once had to eat suet pudding, just to be polite. It was horrible. Thank god these people wern't into pounding a cauldron of pig blood into pudding.

Anonymous said...

Ssh...don't give them any ideas.

We feed birds suet in the winter here. They dig it.

Anglo Mango said...

I must add that there was a chippy butty shout-out in the video they show at the action stations. In a crisis, one of the sailors offered the captain one, and the captain was like, not now.