Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Washington Red Delicious

On a brief outing from the library the other day I went down to Waitrose to buy some food. While in the apple section, contemplating my options, my eye was drawn to a litte saran-wrapped apple four-pack. What did this four-pack proclaim? Why, it was Washington Red Delicious apples, grown in Washington State. Mind you, these were the only non-euro apples the place had to offer. The label also proclaimed that Washington State was believed by many to produce the best examples of red delicious apples. Needless to say, despite the slightly higher price tag and the fact that I am not a big red delicious fan, those were the apples I bought. I'm sure chesty (reminder: passenger & frieght lecturer) would not have been pleased at the environmental costs required to get these apples to Southampton from Washington (British Airways is a somewhat safe assumption, apparently this is how the airlines make a bit of extra dough). Despite being flown from uber-far, the apples are relatively fresh tasting. I liken this to the fact that they are probably pumped with more pesticides than are safe for human consumption. Oh well, at least now I can show them to people and be like, look, Washington grown. I'll keep my eye out for some nice Oregon hazelnuts...

First exam is tomorrow. I think I will be able to do alright, but it's always tough to know. Tuesday's exam on the other hand, scares me like no other. I really should be spending today learning for that exam, buy you can't study for an exam other than the one you have the next morning. That's just not how it works. Anyways, back to learning. I can't hide at the library computer station all day.

No comments: