Sunday, January 14, 2007

Denim

I went shopping for some new jeans yesterday. Well, perhaps shopping isn't quite the right word. As I had received a lovely gift card to top shop for Christmas (thanks again, parents), I went in there determined to find a pair. There are good things and bad things when it comes to top shop and jeans. One seriously good thing they have going for them is that all of their jeans come in three different lengths, and they have several different styles as well. The bad thing is that top shop tends to be rather trendy, so this means skinny leg, skinny flare, straight leg, or boy fit jeans. Oh, and to make things slightly difficult, the jean sizes are all in inches like man jeans. So trying to hedge my bets, I decided to try the straight leg and the flares. Now, the flares were ridiculous, because, well, they were ridiculous. The straight leg technically had a slight bootcut, so they seemed like the way to go. However, while the jeans I had tried on technically fit correctly, to my American senses they still seemed a little much, so I decided to get a pair one size bigger because I figured they would at least look somewhat normal. Now, I got the bigger size, and they manage to be both too big and yet spindly at the same time. I have to keep pulling them up, but the limited width of the leg is still a bit shocking to me (although I must admit, more of what I had in mind than the original pair I tried on). Don't worry, I have no intention of walking around with these jeans tucked into boots. Oh, and when I got back and was cutting off the tags, I found that the jeans came with a guitar pick. Why, I have no clue.

Speaking of boots, I don't understand how everyone here seems to think those flat, slouchy, just above the ankle 80s boots are a good idea. I am also a bit awed by the people you see walking around seemingly wearing ten shirts, a denim mini skirt, a giant belt, tights, and either ballet flats or said boots. It seems like putting such a montage together would be very time consuming. Not to mention the accessorizing.

I also finished looking through British Vogue and was a bit disappointed. It lacked the insightful articles that you find in American Vogue. The only article seemingly worth reading at all was about society's relatively new-found obsession with handbags, because I felt I could somewhat relate. After that there was just an unnaturally large section about property. So not worth nearly 4 pounds. I had wanted to buy Vanity Fair but I couldn't find it at the train station. No deal.

5 comments:

Lisa Katzke said...

Ooh, I can relate. Unfortunately, denim stretches.

Last summer I decided that I wanted to see what the hype was about designer jeans, so I went to Nordstroms and a sales girl helped me pick some out. I didn't manage to find any that fit well enough for me to buy them, but I did learn that there's a reason that a lot of people look like their jeans don't fit. This is because they don't.

There are a lot of people running around here with 10 shirts on, a shirt skirt, and tights with ballet flats. I'm just starting to see the sloucy boots. The belts have been present for a year or two, but now even more accessories have been added such as bracelets and headbands. Since we generally lag here in the US, do you mean to tell me that we're stuck with this look for another year or so?

Anglo Mango said...

I would say you are stuck with horrible 80s fashions at least for the rest of the year. If Topshop is as trendy as they say, it looks like there is more of a 60s turn on the horizon. While equally bizarre, it looks less like a suitcase threw up.

Anonymous said...

whew. i prefer the '60s to '80s. definitely not a fan of the slouchy boots, although i bet once could find a suitable pair at goodwill.

Anonymous said...

Try putting wet jeans in a hot dryer (if there is such a thing in England) and see if they shrink a bit. They may just shrink in length, which won't help at all with the pulling them up bit.

I need to get new jeans for our trip. It's so hard. Why does it have to be that way?

Unknown said...

the 60's has a strong presence at forever 21 too. fyi. this 60's thing appears to be sweeping the globe.