Thursday, January 11, 2007

Oh dear

Do you ever wake up and realize you haven't updated your blog in 4 days? Yeah, that's me. I feel a bit bad about that. No excuses really, I've just been at the library all day every day. And speaking of library, it has become THE place to be on campus this week. Like every seat full, people looking around in desparation. No one moving for hours on end. Desparate attempts of seat-saving.

So it seems like a good portion of Americans are particularly intrigued by British/European candy (myself included). In England this includes a disproportionate supply of Cadbury bars, and since Christmas, I have noticed, Cadbury creme eggs. Imagine my surprise when I heard that Cadbury is not considered to be the best kind of English chocolate bar. Hard to fathom, I know, but the English seem to regard Galaxy bars of being a higher calibar chocolate, which perhaps is reflected in the fact that their bars are pretty much just chocolate, no fillers needed. From the makers of Galaxy you have this interesting concept known as Revels. Not known as, that's just what they are called. It is a bag of six-different kinds of chocolate items. You have what are essentially M&M sized pieces of galaxy, Maltesers (Whoppers), and then chocolate covered caramel, orange, raisins, and coffee. The stinger is that you cannot tell all of the flavors apart, so it's a bit of a surpise when you bite down. It's an interesting experience.

Additionally, there are the Yorkie bars (not for girls!), Lion bars (I don't really know what their deal is), and they have of course the Kit Kats, Snickers, Twix, but instead of Milky Way they seem quite concentrated on Mars bars, which seem to be exactly the same. Something else that I have seen and quite enjoyed are Freddys (at least I think that is what they were called), which are made by Cadbury and are essentially just a minituare, frog-shaped piece of chocolate for when you wouldn't mind a bit of chocolate but don't want a full bar. I'm sure some of the other bars are technically European, but I really don't know.

The treats/snacks aisle also tends to include what they call flapjacks but are in no way related to pancakes. They are seemingly the result of combining oats with massive amounts of butter, rolling them out into a baking pan, and then cutting it up into bars. They can be quite good, but I had an overly greasy one that wasn't so great. They come in flavors as well, like rasberry, toffee, chocolate, etc.

I am a little concerned by the fact that it is 8 am, still pretty much completely dark outside, and violently windy. It's going to be a rough walk to class.

3 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

Ah, things are starting to come together. Revel's must have been the inspiration for Harry Potters' Bertie Botts Beans. Chocolate frogs made it to the pages without any changes, accept for becoming animated. Not that I'm into Harry Potter or anything.

Aaron said...

What do the Brits think about Beckham coming to the US?

Anglo Mango said...

This Harry Potter connection does seem to make sense. I will have to keep my eye out to see if I can make any additional connections.