Monday, January 15, 2007

Bacon & Facebook

English bacon and American bacon are not the same. English bacon is thick, has most of the fat cut off, and is not generally crispy. Oh, and much like America, it is seemingly on everything (as is corn, but let's not go there). I've gotten some all-day breakfast meals a few times that come with bacon, and it is so thick and meaty that you eat it with a knife and fork, so it's almost like ham. And the English think there is something wrong with are fatty, crisp bacon. Personally, I think there is an argument to be made for both kinds of bacon. Sometimes you want meaty bacon, for example, they make quite good BLTs. But sometimes you want to be able to pick up your bacon and have it not move and be crispy. Because that is what bacon does. But I have to agree with the English approach of cutting off all the fat. It doesn't exactly bring anything to the table.

Totally different topic, but being in the library all day you can't help but notice that everyone here is obsessed with facebook. I realize this is essentially true in America as well, but here I am confronted with it everyday. Basically whenever you see someone looking at something on their computer that is not the essay they are writing, it is facebook. They all check it constantly. Several times a day. To see what's gone on. And what is equally remarkable is that things do seem to go on to warrant it being checked ten times a day. Normally I just shake my head in disbelief, but this morning when I was printing my essay about the Stansted airport noise assessment, and saw yet another girl looking at facebook, I decided that I would tally how many times facebook came up between now and my last exam on the 30th. At first I was only going to keep track of how many times I saw people looking at the website, but after hearing three oral references to it as well (within an hour), I decided that those should count as well. And then I decided I would keep track of 'cracks' as well, because people often do not realize how low rise their jeans really are. Oh, and in the afternoon I saw someone wearing man capri's (in January, I don't know either), so a third tally was added. And then to make things interesting, I've started a pool. I guess 50 facebooks (which now seems low, there were 6 today), 2 man capris (currently at 1), and 15 cracks.

I know this is sad. But I need a hobby to keep me occupied for all the long library hours. And only sightings at the library count.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you do a denim on denim tally as well? Or is that not so prevalent over there?

Anglo Mango said...

They don't seem to do D on D. Perhaps it is just not the season for denim jackets? Or maybe they are just a little too American? Either way, totally their loss.

Anonymous said...

denim dan! ah, the canadian tuxedo. facebook makes me feel old, like it got popular after our time. my brother was like, you don't know what facebook is? so i got nikki to look him up so i could spy on him. hehe.

Anonymous said...

I hope you keep your new jeans pulled up so you're not in someone's tally. I saw practically a whole bare butt the other day in the shoe store. I had to stare because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think it's a good thing when clothing covers up that part of the bod, in general.

Anglo Mango said...

Nikki is the facebook portal. Thanks, Nikki.

And I will do my best with the new jeans. It seems to me that people always end up getting into trouble when they lean forward to look at pictures people have put up on facebook. Or at least thats how it seems...

Anonymous said...

i try.