Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Grey's Anatomy

In this country, Grey's Anatomy is shown on a channel called 'living tv'. It's not a normal channel and I don't know if everyone even gets it. Do the major networks not realize its greatness? Why bury the best show out there on a network with such a cheesy name? Luckily I have started a one person campaign to get the show to catch on. I have two people hooked so far and am working on a third. If they in turn can get two more people hooked, then hopefully the ball will keep rolling until, like Seattle, it's all people can talk about. The season of X-Factor (which used to be Pop Idol, don't remember what happened) just ended, so it seems like they are in need.

Speaking of American tv, the seasons that started in September in the US will be starting here this month, and then I think they just steamroll through them without the long hiatuses that we are cursed with in the US (I have been waiting for a new Grey's for over a month!!).

Speaking of Americans, if an English person tells you that they have a headache and you say that you are sorry, they find you strange. It seems that "Sorry" in England means "I apologize", while I take it to mean "I feel bad about that, no really, I do".

Someone asked me my name the other day and when I told them they asked if that was English. I said yes, but they didn't believe me. Other people here have claimed that they have never heard of a person called Margo before. I find this quite odd, but, along with my constant mis-use of the word pants, gives me some amount of novelty value.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the name Margo is of French or Greek origin. The variants are Margeaux, Margaux, and Margot. It means "pearl." People named Margaret are sometimes called Margo for short. It's a very nice name--spelled just the way it sounds if one uses your variation, and can be pronounced perfectly by advanced two-year-olds.

Buehler Recipes said...

There are 2 English names I am well acquainted with that American manufacturers refuse to acknowledge. They are Claire and Amelia. When Amelia's grandmother traveled back home to England she brought back a bag if items with the names 'Claire' and 'Amelia' on them. Here, 'Claire' is spelled wrong (Ok, not wrong but what I would consider masculine) and poor 'Amelia' just doesn't exist.

Anonymous said...

hello pearl...

so how do you misuse the word pants? apparently that's possible...

Anonymous said...

"pearl" -- sweet!

Anglo Mango said...

It's easy to misuse pants! While we use the term for all clothing bottoms past the knee with separated legs, and use the term trousers generally only for dress pants, the English use the term trousers as we use pants and to them the word pants just means your underwear. And so I just keep talking about underwear, apparently.

Anonymous said...

nicely done on talking about underroos all the time. pants - who knew?

i don't think i've ever said trouser. i think i just say dress pants, which is a much lamer term than trouser.

Anglo Mango said...

Dress pants = "Smart trousers".
For example:
Me: "what do you wear to work?"
English person: "a jumper and some smart trousers."