Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years

Happy New Years! 2007. Freaky. What will they come up with next? 2008?

After a quiet Christmas, I was rather relieved to actually have something to do for new years eve. Most of the night venues in town had some sort of special gathering for the holiday, and a good many of them were themed. Most sold tickets in advance, and they ranged in price from around 5 pounds to upwards of 30 pounds. The place I went to was 10 pounds and had a superhero/villain themed party. There were awards given for best male and female costume. So basically about a quarter of the people looked ridiculous and everyone else was dressed normally. I was dressed normally.

For the most part, its all the same as the US. The biggest difference is that the bars do not have to close at a certain time any longer (a relatively recent change), so most bars were apparently open until 3 am, with some closing earlier and some later. I suppose this is good because then not everyone is put out in the street at the same time looking for a taxi.

While it seems like I have been in England for a long time, and the first semester is almost over, I realized the other day that I'll be here for 9 more months, and have been here for only 3. That's quite a lot of time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you went out for New Year's Eve. We did the Pride and Prejudice marathon. Loved it.

It seems to me that you've been gone a very long time, too (sniff). But, that's the way moms are.

Anonymous said...

you HAVE been gone a long time! there's been lots of stuff where i was like, hey, mango...wait.

you could get pregnant and have a baby and no one here would ever know...hehe.

Anglo Mango said...

I had a pseudo-Hillary sighting yesterday. But it wasn't Hillary. Someday I will be back, and hopefully without children.