Thursday, December 07, 2006

Rail depot

Today I have another field trip. In an hour I will be getting on yet another mini-bus (I fear the mini-bus) and heading down to the local train depot. Please not that it is not a dee-po, it is a deh-po. Quite frankly, I've sort of stopped noticing or thinking about all the words that are simply pronounced differently. As a stick it sort of gets old.

The English winter has still yet to kick in. For some reason, despite that having mild and at least somewhat sunny yet unnaturally windy days, there are often rather stormy bits at night. I am often woken up several times by the sounds of heavy winds and pouring down rain, and then I wake up in the morning and look outside and it's all still and quiet.

I have had a few run-ins with what they like to call American football the last few days. On Tuesday night I saw a guy walking down to campus carrying shoulder pads and a helmet, and yesterday in the computer lab I saw some random middle eastern guys looking at NFL clips on the internet, and another guy came in wearing a jacket that said 'American football' on the back. I took this to mean that he played on the school's 'American football' team more so than showing support for the sport in general. Sometimes I feel like I should make comments to these people, but then I realize I don't have anything to say.

Speaking of sporting events, the Ashes are going on right now. And apparently they are a really big deal. Basically, the English are playing Australia in cricket and the games are in Australia so they are in the middle of the night here. Things are heated. But I don't understand cricket so it's all the same to me. Oh, but the games last five days. And the Ashes will go on until February. And they occur every other year. Don't ask me why it's such a big deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just talked with Bernie (the New Zealander), and he suggested I ask you about "the Ashes." Well, lo and behold, you mentioned them. How about that.

Anglo Mango said...

They are everywhere. They even came up in a lecture on Tuesday. Dr Hounsell was not pleased with England's performance.