Monday, December 11, 2006

Nationality Soup

I've decided to make a list of the countries from which I have now met people while in Southampton.

1. England - there are lots of these
2. Wales - because it is separate 'country'
3. Ireland - you recall the Dublin tale
4. France - tend to be undergraduates here for a semester
5. Italy - same as France
6. Greece - oodles of Greeks, not really sure why
7. Cyprus - not sure if Greek part of Cyprus or non-Greek part
8. Iran - thinks the Americans should invade
9. China - once again, oodles
10. Japan - only person I've come across who likes baseball
11. Taiwan
12. New Zealand - but living in the UK for work
13. Malaysia
14. India
15. Mauritius - yes, an actual country, off the coast of Madagascar (I had to ask)
16. Barbados - the cricket world cup will be there next year
17. Trinidad and Tobago - 'West Indies'
18. United States - I'm up to one and a half

I know I am forgetting some. There are a couple people from Africa in my class but I don't recall which countries, exactly. But no Canadians, no Scots. For some reason I can never think of interesting things to say to people from these countries. Luckily most people in turn do have something to ask about America, or at least have an opinion on the matter. I wonder if I can make it up to 30 before the year is out...

3 comments:

Anglo Mango said...

There won't be freshly baked cakes in Africa this Christmas...

Anonymous said...

i want some soup!! it's cold...

Anonymous said...

i miss your randomness, coco :-)