Saturday, December 16, 2006

London shoes!


I got my first pair of English shoes yesterday! In London! For 27 pounds! I have them on right now!

So, I got in my let's-see-London-done-up-for-Christmas trip yesterday with a couple classmates. After dropping one off for their interview at Notting Hill Gate, wandered down this adorable little street, Kensington Church Street, to get to the Kensington High Street. It was on this street that I realized normal human beings do not live in that neighborhood (the streets were literally lined with Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes, and Porches), but I also found my shoe store where things were quality made and half-price. After some more shopping in Kensington, it was time to head over to Covent Garden to soak up the festive atmosphere. It was quite festive. Oxford Street was quite crowded as well. There were shoe sales everywhere, but I managed to resist.

My big thing I wanted to see was the Christmas tree (a gift from the people of Oslo, apparently) in Trafalgar Square. While it is indeed a big tree, you'd think it would have been a little more impressive. But the photo is above (and additional photos are on Picasa), so you can judge for yourself. As it was right there, the Christmas tree visit lead to another detour through the National Gallery, which I kind of rushed through before. Then it was over to Leicester Square to see what they had come up with, which was a Christmas carnival, then around Piccadilly (some lights), and eventually back over to the South Bank (I don't know if colored plastic bottles count as Christmas decor...).
While there was not oodles of Christmas-ness all around, the people were especially festive in their behavior. Being the last real Friday before Christmas weekend, a lot of people at both restaurants were having their Christmas meals (the restaurant gives them crackers, so they wear those little hats like in About a Boy). Overall, I would say that its all just sort of done in their own way. It's probably for the best, as I have managed to not hear nearly as much Christmas music. Although there was a little Last Christmas going on at the lunch place.
And for some reason my hair is getting noticeably lighter. It's really strange.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps hair color is related to what's in the water? Or perhaps it's the beer? Can't be from too much sun.

Anglo Mango said...

Is that why I was blonde as a baby? I was tossing back the beer? What kind of parents are you guys??

Anonymous said...

so describe these shoes!!

Unknown said...

How can you say it was a fulfulling experience if you only heard "Last Christmas" once??

If you want I can send you a burned copy. Better late than never.

Anglo Mango said...

Don't worry, I have Last Christmas on pod. I listened to it on the way to the gym on Sunday. May listen to it on the train today.

The shoes are black flats with what is best described as thick fringe on the toe and a sideways strap holding it down that ends in a buckle. Maybe I should just take a picture, but they are not that zesty.