Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Missing out

Last essay is due this morning!! Yay!! It's pretty much done, I just have to read it through, print it out, and turn it in by noon. The four topics I chose were: the rudder, the wind tunnel, the chronometer, and the internal combustion engine. And then I had to go over their development and background in terms of transportation, and discuss later developments and how they have been used in other forms of transportation than those for which they were originally intended. Interesting, I know. A master's level essay question, I think not. I'm pretty sure every single essay turned in will have used wikipedia as a primary source.

Once the essay is all turned in, it's time to kick back, relax, and watch movies all afternoon in preparation for nine hours of class tomorrow (which will be the longest day of the term, also the last before break, seems a little cruel).

I learned something quite sad yesterday that I have every intention of correcting. The English don't have deviled eggs. They have not even heard of them. This is a unacceptable. A life without deviled eggs is no life at all. I have officially added deviled eggs to my list of things I must make for the English, along with at least slightly authentic Mexican (there's only so much to work with over here) and daiquiris, because I'm sick of people asking me what they are every time I bring them up (me: they are good, that's all you need to know).

We got wished a 'happy Christmas' by one of the lecturers yesterday. I'm not sure if that is more or less demanding than a merry one.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Has the rudder really changed much since it's invention? Isn't it still basically a flat piece of wood?

You should have chosen the wheel.

Lisa Katzke said...

Do you need me to send you some fajita spice packets or something? I would totally do this, so long as it would pass customs.

Anglo Mango said...

The rudder is huge! It used to be mounted on the sides of ships, and then sort of moved over between the 12th and 14th centuries. And then it was the key ingredient in figuring out 3-axis control for aircrafts.

And for some reason there is plenty of fajita spices here. Old El Paso is universal.