Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Pressure

I must admit the pressure to give into English dialect is mounting. I know I have discussed this before, but it's a somewhat a concern to me. The truth is, the more English people that are around, and if you blatantly refuse to use some of their lingo (at least to the level where they know what you are talking about), you will come across as a bit of an elitist. Finding the right balance between so-called 'keeping it real' and sounding pretentious is at times a bit tricky. There is also the key factor that I don't want it to be obvious when I do give in and use the English term. And then I'm also trying to be careful when conversing with Americans not to use any of those terms. If conversing in front of both an American and an English person, I would stick with American English, but quite frankly, there are times when I start to forget which is which. And I haven't even been here two months. It's going to be a long haul.

Last week I had my first beans experience since I've arrived via an all-day breakfast. I still don't understand the English fascination with them. They are just canned baked beans. It's like what they consume in mass quantities while in school in lieu of peanut butter.

3 comments:

Alex Porter said...

I'm a fan of baked beans too. I completely understand where they're coming from on that one.

Buehler Recipes said...

Your little cousin already spews a few British phrases. She's been spending before and after school with a houseful of Brits for the last 8 years. Phrases like 'dungarees' and 'lie-ins' slip out frequently. So at least someone from home will understand you!
Word of warning - you can't put 'bloody' just anywhere in a setence. There are rules about that.

Aaron said...

If you do go Brit, do it suddenly and way over the top. Oh, and loudly.