Wednesday, November 15, 2006

More things I find odd...

Before I get to today's captivating topic, I must finish up the accent discussion.

The person who is alledgedly constant labelled an American is from Dublin. I'm not sure if I buy it, but the store goes that the people who settled Boston were mainly from this particular part of Dublin and so the accents are supposed to sound similar. Mind you, I didn't hear it, but I will say it was not your traditionally thick Irish accent and I could see how some people might be confused by it, but no American could.

Now some more things that amuse me... I did have tea the other day. I was handed a glass and said ooh, it has milk in it and the person who handed it to me was like, did you want it really milky?, as if more milk was the only alternative. It pretty much just tasted like tea to me. Another thing that threw me off were the waffles I saw in the frozen foods section at the grocery store yesterday. While having that siganture Belgian waffle look, they were potato waffles, and are apparently eaten with ketchup instead of syrup. I was, however, pleased to find some peanut butter at the store. It was a strictly bottom shelf situation, because apparently no one here eats it. They're too busy with their pate and chicken paste to put peanut butter on their sandwiches. I think it broils down to this English obsession with savories where the Americans are obsessed with sweets. Two words: sausage roll.

I made my first trip to Tesco this weekend. It's theoretically just a grocery store chain, but they have sort of evolved into the English equivalent of Wal-mart (not to be confused with Asda, which is Wal-mart). There are three lines of Tescos: Tesco Express, which is like a convenience store, regular Tesco, and then uber-giant mega Tesco, which sells not only groceries but everything else you can imagine, like TVs and savings accounts. I wouldn't want to do my banking at the same place I buy yogurt. But that's just me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the Tesco in Tunbridge Wells when on the garden tour. I will always remember Tunbridge Wells--our hotel room had a cracked toilet seat that pinched our butts. We were underwhelmed with the hotel and Tesco experiences, but enjoyed the shops in the Pantiles much, much more. I hope you have a chance to go to some of those cutsie towns--like Chipping Camden. I'm rambling...

Anonymous said...

interesting boston/dublin factoid! i have to say, irish was the only nationality i've been mistaken for other than canadian.

sorry, alex, baked beans are gross. and you've never had bad mexican until you've had nachos with baked beans.

Anglo Mango said...

Thanks, Mom. We all really needed to know that...

And quite frankly, the most intriguing part of the tesco experience was the complexity in just getting through their little complex from the street to the actual store. It was like a maze.

Anonymous said...

You called me mom!