Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Election

Since my brother asked about it, and I have once again forgotten my intended topic, I'm going to stick with the election.

I did spend all day in the library yesterday which limited my contact somewhat with the outside world, but I have been keeping tabs on the election here for a couple weeks. While the tvs on in the studens union tend to be turned to mid-day talk shows, those in the faculty/post-graduate cafe tend to be turned to the news (plus they have couches!). The American election has been mentioned and discussed continuously for some time, and The Indepenent (the newspaper that ends up lying around the faculty/post-grad cafe, instead of The Star that you find in the other cafe) had several pages of dedicated coverage on Tuesday about possible outcomes and the different state battles. I ended up having to discuss some of the battles, which to me sounded boring, but the English seemed somewhat interested.

Yesterday in the library, I did spot some people reading the news on their laptops, and most seemed to be looking at stuff about the election. I also shared my excitement with a few people, and most seem to either be pleased or just think I'm nuts. Most likely a little bit of both. I will see a lot more people in class today, and I'll be sure to report back if I get any feedback from them.

Speaking of students union, English the Price is Right was on yesterday. It sort of freaked me out. The stage was like, modern and blue, the host was young, and instead of just the female Barker's Beauties, they had a mixture of men and women caressing the merchandise and smiling blankly. It just didn't seem right. On the other hand, the unnatural levels of excitement of the crowd were just the same as here.

7 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

Maybe you could pop down to France and see if they like us now.

Aaron said...

Bob Barker is retiring!!!

Anonymous said...

You watch the Price Is Right????

So, what online catalog system does the library use?

Alex Porter said...

I subscribe to The Price is Right on tivo for kicks. It's a pretty good show...I'm gonna miss bob. My prediction is that they'll wait a season or two and then come out with a new modern version like you described.

Anonymous said...

the price is wrong, b****!

name that quote and mango will bring you an english prize.

Lisa Katzke said...

That's from Happy Gilmore!

Bob looks positively cadaverous these days. When I was home sick, I saw one show where this lady came barging at him for a hug, and he stepped back going, "Get her away from me!" I think he was afraid of falling, which is completely understandable when you're 2000 years old.

I do not think I would watch a modern version. It just wouldn't be the same. It'd be like "America's Funniest Home Videos" without Bob Saget...it's on. We see that it's on, but who wants to watch that?

Anglo Mango said...

Bob's retiring??? What??? They should just take the show off the air. The English people were not good at showing off the items, they were just sort of rubbing them like a genie in a bottle. And there is a difference between watching the Price is Right, and noting when it is on.

The online catalogue is called WebCAT, and the library is organized by the Library of Congress system.