Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Hartley

Once again, despite having nothing whatsoever to say, I will try and create a witty blog entry. I am currently in the library, so as this is what I see, this is what I shall discuss.

The Hartley Library, as it is called, is one of the few brick buildings on campus, and by brick, I mean the front part of the building is brick, there is a new part annexed onto the back that is not brick. It claims to be the largest library in the south of England. My transport and environment professor who is bitter about no longer teacher at Oxford, on the other hand, cannot believe how much smaller it is than the libraries at Oxford but isn't willing to change his lists of references. He is also the professor who is managing to only give two lectures the entire semester, and has pawned the rest of it off. We don't like him much. His nickname is Oxford Brookes.

One other thing that I find a bit odd about the library here is the level of security. To get past the front desk you have to go through a turnstile after presenting your student card. I imagine they will let you in if you are not a student, but the people at the front desk are rather remarkable at managing to ignore the people right in front of them trying to get their attention.

Still working on learning all of the rules to cricket and football. Apparently I have to know them all before going to an actual game. Despite all of my world cup watching, I still can't really figure out what off-sides is. They had to go and change the rules or something (no really, they did). I'm wary of trying to learn rugby, but I saw a poster advertising Southampton's American football team yesterday, so I know it exists.

Should probably get cracking on finishing up my first essay. Sorry for the lack of exciting commentary!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe off-sides is applicable in american football as well; although ive yet to fully grasp what it means. i think it has to do with being over the line before the play? who knows.

Anglo Mango said...

It does have something to do with that, but it's much more complex than I originally thought. MUCH.

Aaron said...

In soccer, or "football", a player can't gain an advantage by being past the last defender (not counting the goalie, or "keeper") when the ball is passed by someone on his/her team. I used to think that only applied if the ball was passed to them, but in the World Cup an American was called for offsides by being behind the last defender and using his body to screen the goalie during a corner kick. The ball wasn't put in play to him, but the call was still made. It cost the US a goal, and I believe they ended up with a tie in that match.

Anonymous said...

good definition of soccer off-sides, much clearer than mine was going to be. and it's at the time the ball is kicked - then they can zoom and get it! anyone remember the full monty when they're trying to get the dance move figured out? someone says it's like an off-sides trap (a defensive move) and then they understand. tidbit for the day.

american football offsides seems different. not that i know much about football, but i think it's when someone on the offensive line moves before the ball is snapped. and the ref's signal looks like the basketball motion for traveling. funny.

Anglo Mango said...

I remember that call. The Americans would have beaten Italy if it hadn't been for that call.

Aaron said...

Actually, off-sides in American football is when a player on either team lines up with any part of his body in the neutral zone, which is basically an area going from sideline to sideline that's as wide as the ball. And the signal for that is the same as blocking in basketball. An offensive player moving before the snap is a flase start, and that's the same as a traveling call.

Anonymous said...

this is all very complex. i need a a demonstrative chart.

Anglo Mango said...

I need them to just stop using it as a rule.