Thursday, November 02, 2006

Accents

It just occurred to me that I have not properly discussed the accent situation, or at leat if I have, I don't remember it off-hand.

First of, let me say that I have not acquired an accent. On second thought, I do have an accent. And sometimes it is almost disturbingly strong. Occasionally, in particular when I have been wandering around the city center for a considerable amount of time without saying anything, I will finally open my mouth to talk to the cashier and I'm slightly taken aback by how I talk. Like, the sheer non-Britishness of the American accent is rather abundant at such times. Might I also add that I was surprised to find out that some of the non-native-English-speaking students in my class could not tell I was American until I explicitly mentioned it, so perhaps it's not as great of a difference as we may think.

Aside from myself, there are the accents of the locals. Most of the people I have come across have what are termed Southern accents, and they apparently vary somewhat in range of how 'posh' they are, with the most posh sounding like BBC News presenters, and the least posh sounding Cockney (not that I can really tell the difference). Sometimes to me it sounds like lecturers have different accents, but when I ask, it turns out they don't, and then one of the professors to me sounds pretty much the same, but apparently is 'obviously' from Manchester. Despite this relatively constant accent, I still cannot understand everything people say to me. This is not so much the case in class as at various retail establishments.

I still have not been able to decipher exactly what the English think of American accents, despite making a few attempts, but I have been asked how much truth there is in the plot-line from Love Actually where the English guy goes to Wisconsin.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of weeks ago I heard this Linguist on NPR say that people in Oregon and Washington are the only people in the world who do not have accents. I guess that means that we talk right and everyone else talks funny.

Anonymous said...

That's funny that he was "obviously" from Manchester. This is similar to how people from New York can easily tell what neighborhood a person is from.

Have you asked anyone to mimmick an American accent? I had fun with that in Australia (back in high school).

Anonymous said...

I think people in Oregon can easily spot a non-native northwesterner by the way they pronounce Oregon. There are probably key words that the Brits use that give away where they are from, too. I think it takes a long time for newcomers to an area to pick up on those details.

Anonymous said...

Here's the link to "Are you a yankee or a rebel". Somewhere in there it explains how accents dissapear as you move west.
Maybe somebody can find one which answers "Are you a Cockney or a Posh?"
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was an interesting link. I didn't realize how much New England I have in my speech. And Great Lakes.

It's "soda", damnit.

Anglo Mango said...

They generally refer to it as Coke here, but that's because most places seem to serve coke. Only the cheap places serve Pepsi.

Nobody has given me a very convincing American accent, but I haven't been pressing for one because my English accent is most likely equally laughable.

Anonymous said...

i heard that accent story, too! v. interesting. and, mango, i just heard a story on people named jones in wales! apparently there was a gathering of jones to break a world record set by some swedes. it was on npr, too.

Anglo Mango said...

That's how all the cousins get together. Under cover stories like that.