Monday, November 06, 2006

The loo

As in that thing that you skip to.

Considering they are basically the same, I find the bathrooms here remarkably odd. First there is the term you use for when you are going to visit the restroom. I have always been one to say 'I'm going to go to the bathroom', but when you say bathroom here, you risk getting strange looks. They just call it the toilet. As in, 'I'm going to the toilet'. This sounds not that great to me, so I cannot bring myself to say it and keep referring to it as the bathroom. You can indeed call it the loo, but that's apparently for people who don't like to say toilet (which I suppose would be me...).

Now, when you walk into the 'toilet' there is your normal row of stalls (I'm sorry, but I can only describe the ladies' rooms), but the toilets look a little funny and there are no toilet seat covers (I have been to all sorts of locales, and not a single place has had them). The other thing that gets me is the complete absence of paper towels for drying your hands. Some may see this is an effort towards environmental sustainability, I just see it as annoying, because the air dryers never works and you have to dry your hands on your pants. Excuse me, trousers, because they look at you funny when you say pants as well. If I do come across an English bathroom that features either a toilet seat cover or paper towels, I will be sure to make a note of it here.

The only thing I've learned about the men's room is that urinal is pronounced 'yer-I-nul' instead of 'yer-uh-nul'.

I have officially made the switch over to blogger beta. I don't know what impact this will have, but hopefully things should work a little better.

8 comments:

Aaron said...

Blogger beta would probably explain why those of use who use Gmail have a "Blogger display name" now. Maybe I'll use my scientific skills to run an experiment. I'll log out of Gmail and see if my name is still available...

Anonymous said...

Success!!! They apparently integrated Gmail and Blogger.

Anonymous said...

But how did Google make the rest of your name connection to your email? You're not just aaron@. Must be something else. I noticed that it didn't react to "mom"

About the loo stuff, when I was growing up, we always said we had to go to the toilet. I had to unlearn that when I entered the real world, whenever that was, and wherever it is...

Aaron said...

When I'm logged in to Gmail, I'm also logged into Blogger. My Gmail display name is my name, so it just picked my first name (because Google is young, hip, and informal).

You should say you need to go to the can or the pisser, and see how they react.

Anglo Mango said...

Who would have thought beta blogger would be such a revolution.

Buehler Recipes said...

Well mom, I think you're suffering repressed memories resulting from the damage the nuns did us. I remember raising my hand, standing up in front of 40 other 1st graders, asking to be excused to use the bathroom then being asked "don't you have a toilet at home?". I finally caught on and stopped having liquids before noon.
Nunzillas.

Anonymous said...

i like the beta.

Anglo Mango said...

What did those nuns do to you guys? Is there some sort of charity set up to provide you guys with therapy?

I'm glad there's positive reception to beta, because I can't switch back to the other one.