Sunday, September 16, 2007

The fear

I think it's safe to say that I'm terrified about having to deal with my lack of visa and its influence on my future employment. It seems most likely that I will not be getting the required go ahead from the University in time for starting work a week from tomorrow, meaning I have to go to plan B. Plan B involves me writing a very nice and carefully worded letter to the people who will still hopefully be willing to employ me, telling them that while I don't have my nice 12 month visa quite yet, I can work if they give me a 4 month contract and can then get the 12 month contract in January. All this meaning that instead of getting me for only 12 months without having to pay for my visa, they will get me for 16. Or they will laugh at me and tell me that as the visa is part of the requirements for employment I can go take a long walk down a short pier. Whilst perhaps I should have writtent this email on Friday after regaining internet, I was too scared to do so. So tomorrow I will write the email and then go crawl into a hole and rock back and forth in the fetal position.

Email aside, I have somehow managed to book numerous activities for the week. I have two plays, a dinner in Maidenhead, and am meeting a fellow American in town to boot. This is slightly bizarre as I never had anything to do in Southampton. Oh, and I will be spending my days frantically finishing dissertation, of course.

In other work preparation news, I went shopping today and bought a pair of 'trousers' from Zara. Now I have 3 pairs of 'trousers' (but the other two pairs go with suits and might seem odd on their own as they have a bit of an odd flow) and plenty of skirts. I also bought nylons. As I had none yet all the skirts. I hate nylons. I also got a pair of opaque tights. It's a bit of a different flow for myself, but they certainly seem to be the local fashion so I figured I would take the risk. Working up the nerve to wear them is a totally different story.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to read that tights are the fashion in London. I don't think I've given up on them since the 60s. Nice to be back in fashion. They are so much more durable and warmer than "nylons." Now that's a term I used in the 60s, but then started calling them "pantyhose" once they became, well, pantyhose.

Is the American you are visiting someone on vacation, or have you met another expat?

Anonymous said...

... and I'm sure the visa thing will work out just fine, and that nice firm can't wait for you to start.

Lisa Katzke said...

I'm sure your visa will work out, too. Just think happy thoughts.

In other news, I worked up the nerve to wear a dress and ankle-length tights to work last Monday. It went over well. On top of that, I wasn't cold all day! I feel like I'm on to something.

Anglo Mango said...

Tights day will be an exciting day. I imagine I will have at least one chicken out day first though.

Buehler Recipes said...

Hm, I just got word that us IT moles here in the basement will be required to dress professionally starting November 1. The average temp down here is about 64 degrees, the tights sound like a winner. The sad thing is no matter how cute the outfit, it'll be ruined by the big green fleece I wear every day.