Thursday, September 27, 2007

The commute

So I've gone to and from work 4 times now. Aside from not being able to fit on a few trains and having to wait short whiles for the correct trains to arrive at Earl's Court, the mornings have not been too bad. Now let's go over my evening commutes.

Monday - decided to walk, walked. Was wearing flats, so was not unreasonable. Took 65 minutes, including brief stop to pick up dinner items.
Tuesday - decided to take the bus, took bus. Not really sure how long it took, but was back home by 6:30 and probably left around 5:45. Bus goes from very near work to Fulham Broadway, so 15 minute walk at the end
Wednesday - decide to take tube, didn't take tube. Walked down into Notting Hill Gate station, scanning my card at the ticket gates. Learn that District Line trains are suspended between there and High Street Kensington, and next Circle Line train (which also goes to High Street Kenginston) is 20 minutes away. Walk out, having to scan my card again and pay 1.50 for the privledge. Take bus, which is addition 1 pound. Took little over an hour. Had to walk from Fulham Broadway again.
Thursday - decided to get home by whatever means possible. Checked the tube status before leaving work. Learned that District Line trains were running from Kensington, just not Notting Hill. Walk down to Kensington High Street station, about 10-15 minutes. Pay to get through ticket gate. Learn after several minutes that it would be 25 minutes until a train showed up. Went back through ticket gate, walked to Earl's Court station as traffic was at standstill and would be quicker than taking a bus. Took tube to Parsons Green from Earl's Court. Took 60 minutes. Feet really hurt!

So like, what's up with this TfL? Apparently the drivers were complaining that the trains didn't have 'brakes', and like they only want to drive trains that have them. So therefore the reason for the suspended services was lack of available, aka 'able to stop', rolling stock. Pain in the neck, I say. Oh, I guess I should also mention that my smooth Wednesday idealized morning commute took exactly 25 minutes, door to desk. That puts the 60 minute thing in perspective. If I didn't fear eminent death and getting sweaty while going to work, I would seriously consider riding a bike to work. But helmet hair and 'smart' dress doesn't suit me I've decided.

The District Line is apparently up and running again. Hopefully it will be tomorrow morning. I might also add that I avoided having to deal with the suspended services this morning by starting out my day with a site visit to Islington, in northeast London, which then required returning to work via the Central Line which also stops at Notting Hill and was working fine. Oh, and you can't get anywhere in the remote vicinity of where I live by taking the Circle Line from Notting Hill, either. So it's not to much an option. Anyways, let's hope tomorrow's commute goes smoothly. It's tough becoming a bitter London commuter after only 4 days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the bright side, at least walking is an option for you! An hour walk isn't so bad, especially on the way home. Plus you get the nice bit of exercise tossed in. It probably means lugging walking shoes and socks to work, though.

At my workplace, I drive, get free parking, plus I get paid $1.50 each time I bring your dad or take him home--part of our commute trip reduction program. He then takes the streetcar downtown, and also walks a few blocks. What a deal!

Buehler Recipes said...

So, does your roomy get home first and have dinner ready?

Lisa Katzke said...

I take Bart. Sometimes, like today, it gets completely fubared and you're stuck in a station with no trains going in or out, straining to hear garbled announcements over the one loudspeaker while the informational signs play advertisements instead of telling you what the heck is going on.

There must be a better way, Margo. There must. I think this is your mission.

Aaron said...

The other day on my drive to Carlton I counted 17 traffic lights where I either had to stop at a red (10), or was slowed way down because the cars in front of me were just accelerating after it turned green (7). And that's only in the parts of the drive that aren't cow country. Ridiculous.