Thursday, June 14, 2007

Things on toast

Being what I consider to be a normal human being, I have a fond regard for toast (and toast related products). Back in the homeland, I enjoy having toast with butter, jam, or the occasional cinnamon sugar. Here they take toast topping to a whole other level. And I encourage you to follow the lead. Well, kind of.

First there is the egg. You can have scrambled eggs on toast or fried egg on toast. I like this recipe because it is within my grasp. You make toast, you make a scrambled egg/fried egg, but egg on top of toast, and voila, a delicious meal with two entire food groups. I suppose you could put fancy things in your scrambled eggs in these circumstances, such as cheese and/or vegetables, but I have not attempted this.

In more signature English-ness, there is beans on toast. Which basically involves dumping a can of Heinz baked beans on otherwise perfectly delicious toast. I don't see the appeal of this. While it is not entirely untasty, it seems like beans just sort of bring things down. Plus it makes the toast a bit soggy. And in many ways the entire point of toast is that it is crisp.

I consulted an English person. This is what he had to say "Beans on toast is a concept in of itself.
Scrambled egg on toast is mainly due to plate capacity issues, I feel. If im having a fry-up, eg. such as those available from the students union, then I become disgruntled at them pouring the beans on my toast. If i wanted beans on toast i would ask for them. Sog is only desirable if that was the point in the first place." (Thanks, Chris, for the words of wisdom).

So next time you are perhaps having breakfast involving eggs and toast, I recommend combining the two. The beans may only be for the truly adventurous. Oh, and a fry-up is a breakfast meal situation. Took me forever to figure out what they were talking about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had any Marmite on your toast yet?

Anonymous said...

definitely not a fan of beans on toast. bleah.
(and you thought i wasn't reading this blog...:-) )

Buehler Recipes said...

Having been in Europe for several weeks I was very excited one morning to hear we were having french toast for breakfast. Imagine my dismay when I found beans poured over otherwise yummy french toast. If they couldn't scare up some maple syrup, then how about powdered sugar?

Aaron said...

What you should start doing is putting really weird things on toast and telling them it's an American thing.

Cheese-whiz would be a good start, if you could find it.

Anonymous said...

lea and perins worcestershire sauce is needed for the ultimate cheese on toast!!!

Aaron said...

No, not cheese, Cheese-Whiz.

Or do they know about SOS?