Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The bank

I had to go to the bank to deposit a cheque the other day. It was terrifying. Even the task of getting out cash, excuse me, 'drawing out money' can be a bit odd. For one think, there are no drive-thru ATMs, although as I don't have a car this is probably for the best. You have to walk up to the cashpoint to get the funds from your 'current account'. And these 'cashpoints' don't generally let you deposit money. So in the rare occurence that people choose to give you some, you have to actually walk inside. I can honestly say that without complete guidance, I would have failed miserably at this task. Luckily Chris (hi Chris) is a co-Lloyds bank user and was able to tell me exactly what to do. Basically, I had to go into the bank, find the right kind of slip, fill it out with the name of my branch, my sort code and account code and all those codes, and then take my unsigned cheque up the teller and tell him something. I forget what exactly, but I just shoved the cheque and my debit card at him anyways, despite my guidance. After a brief delay as the teller tried to convince me to invest in a llama farm in Slovenia or something like that, I walked away with the vague hope that the money actually made it's way into my account. I'm actually still not completely sure it did.

I had a minor moment of panic on Saturday. At the grocery store I was taking the cart to the cart return, only instead of being the cart return it said 'trolley bay' in big letter painted on the asphalt, and I was just like 'what the heck am I doing here?'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so where did the cart end up??

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you bought so many groceries that you needed a cart. Or are you still feeding the cupboard thief, too?

Chris O said...

Was glad to help... ;)

Anglo Mango said...

The cart ended up in the trolley bay. And it wasn't really warranted in the first place. Sometimes one just doesn't feel like using a basket.