Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Return of the pub quiz

After many months of hibernation, the quiz team formerly known as Chesty Nips re-emerged as Chesty's Midnight Runners for a second appearance at the on-campus postgrad & mature student quiz night, held in the most under-utilised bar/food place on campus, also known as The Bridge. To be honest, I think we only really went because of the cheap drinks. It costs 50 pence per person, which then entitles you to either a free glass of wine or a free soft drink (I had lemonade and it was darn tasty). They then have 4-pint pitchers of not-that-great Carling for 5 pounds, which is a very, very good deal. The last quiz we actually partook in was one of these as well, and we did horribly so we didn't have high hopes. Luckily there weren't many people there, I think a grand total of 8 teams. Most were quite high on the nerdiness-looking scale, which to me implies knowledge of things that could possibly be asked in pub quizes, so again, I did not have high hopes. I could drag things out and discuss the questions and the different rounds and subject areas, but I'll just cut to the chase. We all figured we would finish squarely in the middle of the pack, but somehow dispite appearing relatively cool and having more than one pitcher of the beer, we won.

Now this is a special quiz as it's associated with the university, so technically each team is supposed to be from one school. This implies bragging rights are on the line. So, the prize for this quiz, aside from the takings of the entry frees (aka, a bucket with 18.60 in change and I really wish I had a pound key button on my laptop), but we get the school/department engraved on a plaque and we get to keep the plaque until the next quiz which won't be until the fall. We had quite a converstion with the folks about what to have put on the plaque. You see, it's not that big and couldn't possible fit 'civil engineering and the environment' (the name of the school) or 'transportation planning and engineering' (the name of the department) so we finally settled for 'transport'. We think the department folk will be pleased with us. Nothing would get done in that department if it weren't for chesty's midnight runners. We also have organised and now ordered department hoodies. They'll be available in 3 weeks time. So I'm afraid I won't be able to saunter about the US in my cool green Southampton Transportation Planning and Engineering hoodie in a couple weeks. This is everyone's loss, and I apologize.

A lady just tried to tell me no eating or drinking in the library. Which was fine because I was done with the food anyways, but water is totally allowed, lady.

1 comment:

Chris O said...

Was it SUSU lady? You're totally gonna die.... :)