Friday, May 25, 2007

The Library

Exams start next week, which basically means that I plus every other student at this university, shall be living in the library for the short-term future. Unfortunately there aren't enough seats in the library, so people generally will leave their stuff at a claimed desk when they go for lunch/to class/on 2 hour sun break. The powers that be have finally latched onto this and have apparently enacted a rule saying that you can only leave your stuff unattended for 30 minutes, after which they will toss your stuff in a dumpster. If you choose to leave your seat for any period of time, you must leave a note saying what time you have gotten up. It's ridiculous, I know. Today will be my first test of living with this new rule. It's designed to free up more desks so fewer people get turned away, but I think it will just add stress to a stressful time.

More exiciting topic...London times. There is a Whole Foods scheduled to open on the Kensington High Street this summer. The signs have been toying with me since the fall. It's cruel to promise such a thing for a so long and keep putting it off (it used to say opening in the spring). If I am working in Notting Hill, this locale is easily accessible for all my lunchtime needs. There are also approximately 700 eating establishments within a quarter-mile radius of this place (including 2 Starbucks), but I think Whole Foods may be all I require. Plus it's right by big Top Shop. Cupcake store is in the opposite direction, however, so I don't think a Whole Foods/cupcake lunch could happen.

Cereal guy is out!! I have not mentioned it before, but I often see this little Chinese guy eating cereal outside in his PJs. He lives in the building opposite mine and seems to enjoy the crisp morning air. I apologize for not having a better nickname for him, but I have tried to explain him before. Haven't seen him in days! Glad to know he's still keeping up with his ways despite today's cloud cover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that people can leave their stuff in the library and it doesn't get stolen. I was studying in the library for a final at OSU a few years ago, took a break, came back and someone had stolen the book I was studying. Miffed! I was completely miffed.

Anonymous said...

Oh, other than that, libraries are completely cool.