Tuesday, February 13, 2007

University Challenge

There is a long-running television program in this country called University Challenge. Essentially it is a tournament where each university sends a team of unnaturally smart people to answer unnaturally difficult questions. And it's on tv and people watch it. So being the quiz-minded people that we are, a few people from my course attended a quiz on campus last night that was to act as the first round of finding the University of Southampton team for the show. Each team could consist of five people, but they all had to be from the same school (I am in the school of Civil Engineering and the Environment). Because we are a bit sad, we only had three people. And we didn't do that well, but that's beside the point. Each team got to nominate one person who will then be called back in a few weeks for another round of questions, from which the team will be formed. As I completely lack British general knowledge, I obviously opted not to be this person. There were only about 20 teams, and 5 people go on the program, so odds are pretty good. Should be interesting. Plus it was only 50p per person to enter and you got one free drink (wine or soft drink) and they gave us free doritos.

They do have doritos in the country. And they are the same doritios we know and love, but they have given them different names. I can't recall what they all are at the moment, but nacho cheese is called tangy cheese (they seem to have a slightly different understanding of the word nacho here, but I don't really know what it is exactly). Cool ranch is also present, but who knows what they call it. Cool ranch just doesn't seem to translate as a flavor name.

My progress of getting the English hopelessly addicted to Starbucks is going well. Next I need to convince people to order things with skim milk.

Also, please notice that I have added a link on the left to my public gallery on picasa for convenient photo viewing. If I'm feeling clever I may add additional links there, but right now I can't think of anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is that stupid "Nacho Libre" movie called "Tangy Libre" in the UK?

Anglo Mango said...

It is still nacho libre. But only because it doesn't make any sense either way, I think.