Thursday, February 08, 2007

New Forest


I took my firs sojourn into the new forest yesterday. The thing you have to understand about the new forest is that it is neither "new" or a "forest". It does however, have oodles and oodles of wild ponies.

The "forest" essentially covers a large stretch of land to the west of Southampton up until somewhere east of Bournemouth. It does have parts containing forest, but it also has quite a few marshlands, quanit villages, random open areas, an oil refinery, and beaches. Bost turning in last essay yesterday, I went and checked out some of these beaches. While cold, it was pleasantly sunny. And of course, I got excited whenever I saw any of the famous ponies. If you buy a house in the new forest, you also technically buy a chunk of the ponies. I can honestly say I don't quite understand what goes on, but parts of it are cute and it is a bit scenic. I have some pictures I'll put up, but it may have to wait a day or two because I've got a long day of learning ahead of me today.

It snowed last night. There had been rumors going around that it might, but having grown up in the northwest I have learned to dismiss these sorts of things as imaginative tales to get your hopes up, plus I guess it like never snows here because it's on the sea. But I open up the curtains this morning and boom, ground, pavement, roofs, all covered with snow. Appears to be melting fast, but should make for a treacherous walk to campus.

No comments: