Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Squash & Pancakes

Yesterday was Pancake Day. This is what some consider to be mardi gras, but there are no Catholics in this country so they just think this is a random pancake-eating day. This is exciting for the English as they do not normally consume pancakes as we do in America. Their idea of a pancake for pancake day is also not the same as ours. They are basically crepes. And they put sugar and lemon juice on them. This does not sound particularly appetizing to me, but this is what they do. Perhaps because they do not have the maple syrup. There also seems to be a bit of intrigue surrounding the thick delicious American pancake. I get the impression that they would consume these, but are not quite sure how to create them without them turning into crepes. Seeing as pancakes are one of the very few things that I actually can make, this sort of amuses me.

Speaking of food, when I was preparing for Kelly and MA to arrive I did a sprint through the grocery store. While not literally a sprint, it was pushing the limit. Anyways, because I came across it before I came across the juice, I got some squash. Squash intrigues me. It's basically concentrated quasi-juice (I think the orange squash is 13% fruit), and comes in all kinds of fruit juice-like flavors, and is in a bottle and you would drink it straight if you didn't know better. Instead you pour some into a glass and then just add water. While not of the highest quality, it is a tasty little drink. I think I may just be in it for the novelty at this point, but it is frequently consumed by other people and seems rather prevalent. I may be driven to try other flavors. But there is an equal chance I will never bother to buy any again.

No comments: