Friday, February 23, 2007

Third Currency

I'm off to Amsterdam today! This whole additional country is a bit difficult to wrap my mind around, especially in terms of currency. I went to the post office the other day and paid for euros with pounds, all the while in the back of my mind trying to figure out how many dollars it was. Although I must admit that I have for the most part stopped trying to figure out how much everything costs in dollars. It's just a bit too depressing. Of course, the flights were paid for in dollars but quoted in pounds, the place we are staying is in euros, and I'll get paid back for the flights in pounds and pay back the hostel in pounds. I assure you it's very complex.

Speaking of complex. And speaking of speaking. I'm a slightly worried by the fact that I don't speak a word of Dutch and they seem to have unnaturally long, complex words. Everyone probably speaks better English than me, but it still would be somewhat reassuring to at least know a word or two.

Now it's time for a quick bus ride, a long train ride followed by a shorter flight, a one hour time change, and an as-yet-undetermined ride away from the airport in Amsterdam. Oh, I'm flying out of Gatwick. New airport! Oh, and it's a BA flight. I have always been 'world traveller' on BA flights, but now I'm 'euro traveller'. It's totally like I'm European. Except I'll have to go through the special line at customs. Whatever.

Due to the mini-break, I won't be updating blog again until Tuesday. Hopefully this absence will be made up for by good tales from abroad.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

All the Dutch people I know speak better English than I do! And they, for the most part, speak it with an American accent (which makes NO sense to me).

Alex Porter said...

You'll have no problem with language. Just watch out for Chipknip Oplaadpunts!

Lisa Katzke said...

Have a stroopwafel for me!