Friday, February 09, 2007

Decembrists

I've just gone to see the Decembrists. First of all, it's impossible to explain what it's like to hear someone talk, in person, from the same corner of the universe as you when you have not done so for 5 months. Second of all, it was way good!

The concert was held on campus, in one of the student union buildings in a quasi-large room. Luckily, it was surprisingly packed. When arriving on campus, I was surprised to find the student bar closed 'for private concert'. Quite frankly, it didn't occur to me that this could be Decembrists because I didn't think anyone else was going to it, but alas, it was (the student bar and the concert venue are in the same building). So, I forget the name of the opener. The doors were at 8, went in around 8:45, and heard three songs by the opener. I think the word 'lavender' was involved, but that's all I recall. Anyways, in the announcer intro for the Decembrists, they specifically said 'Portland, Oregon's' decembrists, and I was so excited. So excited. And they even talked like Americans (which shouldn't be a surprise, but it was really unnaturally refreshing). The concert was good, but that's not really the point. The point was that there were people besides me, in Southampton, claiming to be from Oregon. Not just Oregon even, but the west coast. And that is not the norm. So it kicked ass.

Other than that, and the fact that it was good, pretty much like any other concert you would go to. There were Americans when I left, however, at the pay phones. One said to the other 'what's the name of our hotel?'. If I hadn't been desparate for a bathroom, I may have stopped to chat.

No comments: