Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The wine gum conspiracy

For some reason I cannot find wine gums. Anywhere. Like, ever. Not long ago they were bountiful, every place I went had mounds and piles and heaps of wine gums. Bright red packages filled with all kinds of gummy goodness. Now they are like some sort of rare gem.

It all started with the union shop on campus. They stopped restocking everything when the school year ended. Before I realised what was happening, they were a wine gum free zone. The loss of wine gums at this particular locale has been especially difficult for me, as I am on campus most days and sometimes want a mid-afternoon wine gum snack.

Shortly thereafter, I noticed that wine gums were lacking from the shelves of other places. That empty bit of shelf space at Waitrose, a glaring absence at Tesco Express in Fulham. What on earth is going on? Is there some sort of sugar shortage impacting their creation? I was actually amazed to see some on the shelf at Superdrug on Sunday. There was a brief temptation to buy as many bags as I could carry in case my suspicions were true. Alas, I refrained.

Luckily, in my attempts to cut back on my afternoon snack sugar amounts, I embraced the curly wurly, which at 22 p and 100 calories, was in my mind a good deal. It's chocolate covered caramel in a fun, braid-like pattern. Alas, they ran out of those at the shop now too and I must resort of eating chomp, which is the same only its 15 p and lacks shape and technique. Although who am I to say no to a mini chocolate bar?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kittens, it seems, are into mini chocolate bars, too. I still have a couple of Dove dark chocolates in the evening with tea, and take the foil from the candy and make it into a shape they can bat around. Well, they like to do this so much that they can't wait until I eat the chocolate. As soon as they see the candy, they are after it and try to take it away from me. So now I have to hide my candy from the kittens. Oh, they like the tea, too, so I have to put the coaster on top of the tea cup to keep them out. My world has been turned upside down by a couple of little furballs.

Buehler Recipes said...

Yup, our new kitten Lilly is into everything. But we have two big cats eager to teach her the error of her ways.
Unfortunately for them she's so darn cute she can get away with anything, which the other two find grossly unfair.