Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Drawing the line

First off, let's just note how completely giant the kittens have gotten. While perhaps this picture is exagerrating their length a wee bit, they are still a lot bigger than in their last appearance here. Let's all thank Kathy for sending that one in.

Now on my to my main point of discussion: language. The longer I'm here, the more I find myself somewhat accidentally/somewhat not accidentally using British terminology. For example, the other day I said the word quid and immediatly wanted to slap myself, as that is the one word I promised myself that I would never start using it because I find it annoying. But then I got to thinking about whether a total refusal to use local terms is just as bad accepting them wholeheartedly. But then where in the middle should one end up? I think for me the key things are to keep up my lingo-free dialogue with the stateside folk and keep my lingo-level at a tolerable place. In a lot of situations I find myself not wanting to use the local term or the American term. For example, when it comes to finding a place to live in the fall, I don't want to say 'I'm looking for a flat in London' and I also am wary of saying 'I'm looking for an apartment in London', so I just say 'I'm looking for a place to live in London' as some sort of compromise and hope nobody notices. This certainly doesn't apply in all situations as smoothly, but in many ways is the most PC thing to do, I feel. There is also still confusion from me in the pants/trousers and crisps/chips arenas. When it comes to writing my dissertation I freak myself out a bit when I start talking about 'taking public transport to the city centre' but there's not much I can do about that.

Anywho. I'm heading up to London tomorrow for my first 'place to live' searching day. Let's hope it's not too scary/depressing/overwhelming.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the language theme my bro is working on a camp in the States at the moment and heres a post that our friend sent him on Facebook

"Ahoy there chum! How the devil is one?! Thought i'd get my arse (yes, arse, not ass) in gear and say hullo... HULLO MATEY! Right, 1st thing's 1st, just a few things to remind you of home, here goes - pavement, lift, flat, football, petrol, aubergine, chips, sweets, crisps, jellY, jam, aluminIum, dustbin, headmaster, mathS, trainers, nappies, trousers, and a fanny is frontside!!! hehe..."

Anonymous said...

Eeek! The kittens made the blog, and the picture was taken on the unmade bed (blush). I'm so glad now that I moved the just washed "nappies" that I use for dust rags out of the picture before I snapped it.

Oh--they are all stretched out because it was really muggy that day. They usually curl up.

Lisa Katzke said...

I think I sort of go with what's local. Remember when you gave me all sorts of crap during the "soda" vs. "pop" debate?

So if in SF, I am looking for an apartment, however I've always understood that where you are, apartments are called "flats". So, technically you're looking for a flat and there's nothing wrong with saying so, just as I adjust my speech when in different parts of the country in order to make myself better understood.

So I think it's fine to use local terminology as long as you're aware that you're using it. It's when you start sounding like mark's brother's friend over there that I would start to worry. ;)

Lisa Katzke said...

I have found that at a certain age, kittens start stretching out in order to better practice their "taking up an entire bed" skills. I think that is likely what is depicted above. ;)

Anonymous said...

I notice that on the "leave your comment" page it says you can use some HTML tags, so I'm going to give it a try. I was wondering what a "fanny" meant to the Brits, and after reading what it meant at The Very Best of British, I'm glad I didn't ask! Now I'll see if it displays OK.

mark said...

thats one of the funniest websites i think ive seen - you guys must have a field day with that! i wouldnt take it as an authoritative account of british english though! the referred to word in local lingo is not as rude as that website makes out. think its probably written like that so people are aware that it means something totally different.