Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bakin' cookies


I did something last night that I don't think I have ever done before, either here or back home: I made cookies from scratch without a mixer. It was a bold move, but I think it turned out at least decently well. The evidence is here for all to judge.


Before I could make said cookies, I made a special cookie-ingredient trip to Waitrose. Waitrose is a small store, not necessarily at the best of times, but I was still hoping it would have what I required. Flour and brown sugar were easy enough, as was butter. They had some small packets of chocolate chips that were easy to find, but I wasn't sure how many would be required so ended up with 4 (I used 3). Difficulties arose when I started looking for either oatmeal or oat flour, finally finding some in the cereal aisle that was basically oat flour but was for use in porridge. The vanilla was disguised in teeny tiny bottles near the baking powder and 'bicarbonate of soda'.


The preparation process was not that exciting, but I actually had to measure out the butter in a measuring cup instead of just tossing in conveniently pre-cut cubes. There was also a bit of learning curve using the oven in celsius ('test batch' didn't turn out all that well so I had to turn it down a notch). Now the cookies will have to hit the street to see they fare with the English market. I think they're tasty, as did my primary cookie taster. I'm sending the first shipment off to Brighton later. We'll see how that goes.


I'm watching something called 'rugby league'. I am under the impression it's somehow different than rugby without the league at the end of it. It's a bunch of beefy men in really, really tight outfits and very short shorts running around and getting tackled about every 10 seconds. Bradford is playing St Helens. Whatever that means. I should be doing some work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cookies look great! A small scale helps a lot in the measuring department--especialy one that does both grams and ounces. I've noticed that European recipes tend to give the sugar and flour amounts in grams instead of cups, which is a pretty nifty way to do things because then you don't have to wash all those measuring cups, plus I suppose it's a more accurate way to measure flour, too.