Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

After my brief sojourn in the US, I'm back at work in Notting Hill, my Christmas tree has disappeared and for some reason it's a new year despite the fact that I was on a plane at midnight (everyone knows red-eye flights don't really count as 'nights').

So I arrived at Heathrow yesterday morning at around 6:30, having gotten about 2 hours of sleep on the plane. They certainly don't make it easy on you. You get on the plane at 12:30, and then around 3:30 west coast time they decide it's 'night' and they turn all the lights off and you're like, um, I'm not sleepy. And then when it finally gets to 9:00 west coast time they turn all the lights on and serve you breakfast. It's just wrong. Anyways, I made it through customs with considerable ease and grabbed my bags. Sadly because it was pre-8 am on a holiday, trains were not running that frequently, so I had to wait about 20 minutes for a Piccadilly line train into town. And as did everyone else at the airport, so it was packed with giant suitcases. There were loads of empty seats, you just couldn't get to them because of bag barricades. At Earl's Court there was another 15 minute for a Wimbledon train to come, but I finally made it through my front door around 9:15. After using the facilities, watering Basil and Thymey Tim, I took a 3-hour nap. I figured all the New Years revelers were sleeping until noon, so it wouldn't be too horrible if I did as well.

So, after my nap the Turners arrived with about 8 carloads of items and then were off like the night. I spent the rest of the day doing some unpacking, vacuuming up pine needles, putting up my new shower curtain and chatting with someone wearing an Oregon State sweatshirt. It's like I just can't escape those darn Beavers!

The combo of jet lag, time change, and the thought of returning to work make it extremely difficult to get out of bed this morning. After three snoozes and an additional ten-minute period of semi-conciousness, I finally managed to get up. It was not great. And now I'm back at work. There was no one on the trains this morning and there aren't many people around here. It makes me think I could have slept in a bit later this morning. And the email servers seem to be down so I can't check my emails. It's going to be a long day! I'm looking forward to going back to bed already!

3 comments:

mark said...

happy new year to everyone...

i wish the tube is always that empty! Margo very skillfully grabbed me a seat this morning as she 'alighted' to get on the Edware Rd line!!! Then it was like empty even at Victoria - i think most are taking the rest of the week off and I don't blame them.

My office is a bit ghost town like i was the second person in at five past nine!

I wish everyone a great 2008!

Anonymous said...

So what happened to the tree? Did it get planted somewhere? That would be nice, because then you would be able to visit it.

Oh, you have my permission to take the rest of the day off. Isn't that all it takes?

Happy New Year!!

mark said...

the parents took the tree away with them as i wasnt sure what happens to xmas trees in london/ we have no car to take it away. i knew that in southampton the council comes round and collects them but no such information was forthcoming for london...i think/i hope it might get planted in my parents back garden - dad seemed very keen! - we used to have a big xmas tree in the garden but it was digged up for the creation of a pond that no longer exists!