Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Tea in the office

It just wouldn't be England if tea weren't consumed by the truckload. Today I will begin what may become a multi-part series on the culture surrounding the consumption of tea by those around me. Since I've been tending to write blog when I get into the office a bit early (as is the case today), I shall start by discussing the role that tea plays within these walls everyday.

To give a little background, in the little kitchenette, there is a coffeemaker that may have originated in the 1980s and an electric kettle. For use with the kettle, in the cupboard there is instant coffee, hot chocolate mix, and boxes and boxes of tea bags. There is also sugar in the cupboard and strange little boxes of milk in the mini-fridge. In a separate cupboard, there is a bevy of mugs, many of them generic company mugs for general use.

So while I obviously can't speak for the whole of the land, I can relay what I observe in my immediate surroundings. Within my group of six desks (myself included) there are two regular tea drinkers, and one sort of unknown. My connections in other areas also rely heavily on the power of tea. I don't know of anyone who drinks the coffee. Then again I can't blame anyone, as having tried it before I can assure you it's not good.

What is missing from my immediate surroundings, that I have heard of happening quite frequently in other arenas, is the concept of people sort of getting rounds of tea as people take turns getting everyone's drinks in a pub. No one ever offers to get me a cup of tea! And quite frankly it's in everyone's best interest that I don't make any as I really don't know how (how much sugar? how much milk? how long do you leave the tea bag in??). I sort of get the impression this group tea making is a way of group bonding in some circles, much like drinking in the pub. For all I know people get coffee for each other in the US, but the DOT didn't have free beverages at the ready so such culture didn't exist there.

There is also this concept of tea discussion. Yesterday someone walking by yelled out to someone else walking by 'Where's my tea!?', to which they received the response 'In the kettle!' This morning one of the group tea drinkers interrupted a casual conversation with the statement 'Not before I have my cup of tea.'

Personally I don't understand with this requirement of having tea. While it's caffeinated, it's not really that caffeinated. I just sort of get the impression that there is this deep cultural bond to this generic milky tea that seems to be consumed in considerable proportions. Speaking of which, perhaps tomorrow I will discuss the role of tea in socializing in the home (not that I really know what I'm talking about, but I can speculate....).

8 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

Here are my observations on the tea phenomenon. Tea bag stays in for about 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the strength wanted. Sugar should be offered in lumps, don't they have sugar cubes? Lemons? No cream, always milk.
Never serve tea in a mug. In an office setting it could be mug-shaped but should be made of china and have flowers on it.
Never serve Earl Grey.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing at my office. I moved to a new floor a couple of weeks ago with only one coffee pot for about 30 people. The other day the coffee guy brought us more coffee and pots. I figured I was the only decaf drinker, so I brought in a french press. Well, my friend got wind of this and made me a pot of decaf. I'm next to the kitchen, so I can here all the scoffing about the merits of decaf. Funny thing, though -- the pot was empty before I got my cup. Lots of closet decaf drinkers! By the way, I loudly protested the scoffing -- I like the flavor of good stuff, but don't need the stimulant, and what's wrong with you if you do? Gets them every time...

Oh, and no one, NO ONE, goes on coffee runs for others.

Buehler Recipes said...

I think today is Wilke Collins birthday. At least, according to my New York Times Writers Journal podcast - so maybe it was yesterday.
You should 'have a cuppa' in his honor.

mark said...

my boss asks me if i want a cup of tea like every 30 minutes. i think its more of an excuse to get up from the desk plus tea (according to some) is quite a healthy drink...apparently it has the same qualities as red wine...

Anonymous said...

...but none of the fun!

Aaron said...

I have a box of PG Tips in my cabinet I'm slowly working on. It claims to be England's #1 tea. Is this true?

mark said...

well yeah in terms of mass consumption there the starbucks of tea...along with tetleys. i would argue in yorkshire tea's corner for the best tasting cup!!!

Anonymous said...

Brian is a big Yorkshire tea fan. We buy it at Lamb's in Lake Oz.