Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tea in public


In the third and second to last entry covering my exploration of tea, I shall discuss the consumption of tea in the public arena, outside the home and workplace. Given the status of tea in both these other realms, I find the breakdown of tea consumption in public quite intriguing and have my theories as to why this is.


As mentioned in the previous posts, tea is quite a popular beverage at home and at work. While people drink coffee, it's certainly not what all the commotion is about. Step outside these places, however, and it suddenly becomes difficult to find a cup. Much like in the US, the streets here are lined with coffee shops, in addition to Starbucks, Cafe Nero and another place of which I am currently blanking on the name are quite prevalent. While all of these places of course serve tea, they are now clearly secondary to the consumption of coffee-based beverages and baked goods. I have not come across any chains, such as Peet's, where tea is placed on anything resembling an equal priority to coffee.


Much like in America, a number of finer establishments offer the concept of high tea. Apparently you haven't lived until you've gone for high tea at the Savoy. Or maybe it was the Ritz. Or maybe one of those other really fancy hotels. Anyways, as can be supposed, these situations involve the handing over of vast sums of money to sit and drink tea with a vast array of tiny sandwiches and biscuits and such spread out before you. In my mind you are also wearing a pastel suit but I don't think that's necessary. Pinkies however, should never touch anything but air (again, I'm just assuming). Despite knowing that these things exist, I don't know of anyone who has been to one.


The third option for tea consumption in public is the one I have actually partaken in, that being what I see to be a rural/small town sort of phenomenon as the quaint little tea shop. Having visited such a place while in quaint little Beaulieu, frequently this sort of establishment involves a little pot of tea, some what the English call scones, what we call buttermilk biscuits, clotted cream, and jam (as illustrated in the above photo from last April). They should have more of these places in London. It's a nice little change of pace.


So why doesn't tea take centre stage when out and about? Why doesn't everyone suddenly disappear off Oxford Street at 4pm for tea? I don't know but it sounds like an awesome idea and I'm going to pursue it. I could have a scone with jam everyday. Anyways, my real point here is that in a busy city people often do not have the time or inclination to stop and savor a cup of tea as they might in the home or in the countryside. Tea is a relaxing, destressing beverage at home and well, I'm assuming a staying awake beverage at work. While both of these would be handy while shopping and running errands, it would also somehow cheapen and depersonalize the tea-drinking experience. Or perhaps there is just a lack of options for tea drinking in these parts. If I opened 'Anglo Mango's Urban Tea Oasis' and had little mugs and saucers with flowers on them would I be tapping into a hugely under served market?


Tomorrow in my final tea entry, I shall discuss the amazing power of tea as discussed in literature and popular culture throughout the centuries. No really, I will.

3 comments:

mark said...

some history (source: the uk tea council!!! - yes i am that bored at lunch!) america first developed the tea bag in 1908... apparently while the american popln took to tea bags with enthusiasm, the british were wary of such a radical change! - apparently there were horror stories from over the pond about being served a mug of tepid water with a tea bag on the side (i swear thats what happens at soton uni today!). it was the shortages of tea in WW2 that saw the adoption of tea bags in the UK, though in 1960 the percentage uptake was 3% and in 1997 it was 96%.

some cool tea facts:

tea is a natural source of fluoride that helps protect against tooth decay

the number of recommended cups in the UK is 4 a day - for the optimal benefit!

tea first arrived in europe in 1560

Created in China 5000 years ago

Largest industrial activity (not incl. tourism) in india today


ooo and at the time of writing (13:59 GMT 96,267,097 cups of tea have been drunk in britain so far today!)

Anonymous said...

I suppose if one goes to a fancy tea at a fancy hotel, one must wear a large hat with flowers?

On a trip to the Empress in Victoria a few years back, we were going to go to tea, but then got a load of the prices, and went to the bar for a very magnificent late lunch at about half the price. We drank iced tea, at least!

So what about iced tea in England? A big hit or a big no no?

Anglo Mango said...

I would say iced tea is neither a hit or a big no no. I think it's probably around, but in most places it's probably just something that nobody has thought to serve as nobody ever thinks to order it. People tend to stick with things like lemonade I think. But I may be totally wrong about this!