Sunday, August 12, 2007

Football season

Yesterday was the opening day of football season. If you are like me, you are not sure how this can possibly be as the season ended sometime last week. Or maybe it was June. And there have still been all sorts of games in the meantime. Well, either way, the season did officially kick off yesterday. Southampton played at home (and despite the fact that they lost and I don't think Kenwyne played, he is singing audibly this afternoon), and walking through the city centre yesterday afternoon I saw absolute hords of people heading into pubs wearing striped Southampton shirts. Because you know, they have been deprived of legitimate sport to watch for ages now. And according to the news, Chelsea is supposed to be quite good this year (surprise, surprise). Luckily, Chelsea will not be my only neighborhood Premier League football team in London. If you walk ten minutes the other way, you come across the Fulham stadium. They are not nearly as good, so I shall serioiusly consider supporting them in lieu of Chelsea this year.

Speaking of the new hood, the contract is in the mail. We'll head back up to London a week from today to hand it over and pick up our keys. I'm sure this will be followed by going back to the flat and wondering what the heck we've gotten ourselves into. With any luck the flaws of the place will not be too overwhelming. At least it comes with a washer and a dryer. I couldn't handle having just a washing machine and having my laundry hanging about. I got a new duvet cover for the place yesterday. It was an amazing deal at John Lewis. It's brown.

Disseration is still chugging along. Still not a fan. Will be working on it after I start working. Not looking forward to that either.

4 comments:

Chris O said...

As a non-football fan I can assure you that from my perspective the football season appears never to end... :-(

Aaron said...

I wish OUR football season never ended...

mark said...

ah so chelsea football club is not really chelsea football club geographically as its in fulham, just that name had already been taken so they used the next borough along! i too will be supporting fulham (refuse to support chelsea) as my premier league team...though they are not that great!!! southampton my team well lets not mention how badly they are doing...

just read the wikipedia definition of 'football' its very PC! though for someone who is predominately a rugby fan when i normally say football to friends im refering to rugby union...just to confuse matters.

on to rugby union...its the world cup starting in september which margo (though she currently doent know this) will probably be watching as ill be glued to the screen!...the States are in it (though you probably dont know this) we are playing you in the first game in lens, france - the only game where tickets are still very temptingly available as its so close. if interested the big guns will be australia, france and new zealand with england ireland and argentina a little behind them...

Anonymous said...

This whole "what is football" thing is very confusing. My rugby coach/rugby fan/coworker from New Zealand mentioned that "the p**" (don't know how offensive that word is) was probably pleased when England beat Wales in the pre World Cup something or other game a week or so ago. My response, as usual, was "huh?" (I not only have a hard time understanding what he says about 2/3 of the time, I usually don't know what he's talking about the 1/3 of the time that I do understand him. A lot of it is about rugby, though.)