Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bakin' muffins


I've taken my English baking to the next level. Instead of using American recipes with American measuring instruments, I have now used English recipes converted for use with American measuring instruments. My first attempt was on Thursday, those being cupcakes. The cupcakes didn't go well, although I think they were really just undercooked and sad looking. No one would eat them so they had to be put down (aka, tossed). The second attempt was yesterday in the form of blueberry muffins. They actually turned out edible and I have been spread across the south coast for consumption. Here is a blueberry muffin picture, but it is a bit fuzzy. I apologize. Not sure what I'll be baking next. Either a more traditional cupcake (the ones I made were brownie cupcakes) or another variety of muffin. There is a wholemeal peach muffin recipe in my book that I might give a whirl.

In other news, heading back up to Parsons Green this afternoon for a second stint in the new homestead. Notting Hill Carnival is today and tomorrow, but as tomorrow is the main day we shall be spending our time there tomorrow. It's also supposed to be hot and sunny, so the people in the crazy scimpy costumes won't be too cold. That's good for them, I think.

Oh! So the neighbor, Kenwyne Jones, is in the news again. Apparently he really wants to be traded and refused to play in yesterdays game. He's gone on strike. There have been some questions about his attitude. He apparently found out Mark was leaving and feels that no other neighbor will be up to par.

Other things I have learned: Cake flour is called self-raising flour, and powdered sugar is icing sugar. I think. It may be that I just didn't know what they were called in the US. Which is entirely possible.

4 comments:

Anglo Mango said...

Kenwyne seems to be anticipating a trade to Derby...he has gotten ride of his red & white (Southampton colors) giant rear view mirror tassle and replaced it with a black & white one, which are apparently Derby's colors. Currently debating placing a bet on the trade...

Anonymous said...

I hope Kenwyne finds happiness, which I'm sure he has confused with money. I like his name.

Regarding flour -- in the U.S., self-rising flour is regular old flour with a leavening agent added. Cake flour is a finer grind. It's actually quite important to use the correct flour in a recipe, though you can make substitutions. My Joy of Cooking cookbook is really good about substitutions. You can read more about British flour at the Flour Advisory Board website. I'm not making this up!

Anonymous said...

The Flour Advisory Board sounds like it came straight from A Prairie Home Companion, says your dad. He'd post this himself, but he flew to Seattle today. He's been going to Seattle about once/week for work.

Buehler Recipes said...

I bought a kitchen scale. I'm pretending I bought it so I can convert my recipes to weights rather than measures, therefore dirtying fewer items when cooking. But I really bought it so I could weigh the kitten.