Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Soul Food

Last night was the little 'Southampton' people Christmas dinner. With this in mind, what could be more festive than going to a restaurant called Harlem that served soul food? Nothing I tell you, nothing!

In my ongoing effort of metropolitan exploration, we went to the Bayswater neighborhood, sort of east of Notting Hill proper. So basically it was a walk trip from work. Lucky for me I missed the turn on the way, so had to walk extra far in bitter, bitter cold with high winds blowing in my face while carrying a bag of heavy baked goods. It was not pleasant!

Before dinner we went for drinks at a pub that came in second place when deciding where to hold my work group's Christmas thingy, so I was curious to check it out. It was expensive and eerily quiet, but pleasantly warm! I was complimented by the barmaid for my ability to properly pronounce San Miguel, which is apparently difficult for Americans (she was Hispanic but had lived in LA). Anyways...

I was really excited at the prospect of a corn fritter appetizers. Like, really excited. It's why I want to go to there in the first place. They were really good. And came with a leafy salad. For my entree I briefly considered the Cobb salad but decided I could probably get a much cheaper, better one when back in the homeland next week. So attempting to roll with the soul food idea, I got ribs. I think it's maybe the third time I've ever ordered ribs. They came with coleslaw and 3 onion rings. It was pleasant. Elsewhere on the table there was chicken and ribs aplenty, collard greens and steak fries. All in all a tasty food representation and not a dissapointing rendition of the concept of American food in general.

The restaurant was small dark and woody. Below the restaurant there was a tiny little bar with a dj and a dance floor. Oh, and when I went down to use the restroom the light was out in the stairs so it was a bit spooky. And I also had plenty of opportunity to play with the settings on my camera again. The above photo is actually of a mirror reflection. I like to think it makes a bit ethereal, but really it's just out of focus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Were you drinking wine with soul food?

mark said...

cocktails - im not sure how authentic that is though? Mine was amazing however I think Margo would disagree!

Anonymous said...

That picture is very cool.

No grits? Black eyed peas?

Anglo Mango said...

Bloody Mary's are icky and make your breath smell like tomato. It's not cool.

And there weren't any grits or black eyed peas, or gumbo. But the place was called Harlem, not Mobile! But they do serve breakfast and maybe they manage to incorporate grits then...