Sunday, December 16, 2007

The company party


My company Christmas party was on Friday night. It tactfully began at 7pm, when the work day ended at 5:30. So after work, those attending basically all spread out to a number of pubs either at Notting Hill or Gloucester Road. This went on for slightly over an hour before the masses headed towards the hotel.

After the coat check, there were 'welcoming' drinks outside the main room. So basically there were waiters walking around with trays carrying glasses of wine, orange juice, and beer. Then they had a meal with fancy table service (where if you went to pour yourself some more water, someone rushed up and poured it for you). I was a little sad as the starter was salmon, and I don't like salmon. The entree was turkey with gravy, carrots and brussel sprouts. And a sausage wrapped with bacon. It was alright. I ate it. Dessert was Christmas pudding, which I was excited to try because it kind of looked like chocolate. Alas, it's not chocolate. It's like, raisin. And I wasn't a fan. Perhaps it's an acquired taste. Or it just wasn't a very good example. Who knows. They also brought out some mince pies to go with the coffee. Again, raisin and rather unpleasant. Although I'm still intending to bring some back to stuff down the throats of others. Oh, and there was wine on the table for drinking.

Around this time there were speeches that I couldn't really hear. So I didn't really listen. I might also mention that whilst I spent the before party time with the other folks from development, I sat with Adrian's team at the meal. It was a bit crazy, but I feel like it can't hurt to talk to new people at those things. Anyways, after the speeches I made a run for the door. This is apparently the time of night that everyone a) starts paying for their own drinks and b) people 'let their hair down'. So basically, that's when all the stuff would have happened that I get to hear about tomorrow.

Umm. I don't really know what else to say about said party. Many people were going for what seemed to be the explicit purpose of getting quite trashed and dancing around with their coworkers. That seems a bit sad, really. Oh, and there were lots of little party hats on the table. See above photo. Speaking of which, I have added some additional photos to picasa! A bit random, but perhaps mildly interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did the party compare with the DOT parties? Your dad's party had belly dancing and one of the best dessert buffets ever. I got one thing for use to share. It was a death-by-chocolate-bomb. One needed a glass of milk with each bite. The two of us couldn't even finish it, and it was only about an inch and a half in diameter!

Anglo Mango said...

The DOT didn't have Christmas parties because of the whole state funding thing, so it was my first actual Christmas party. And it could have benefited from a dessert buffet!