Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Crazy English Christmas Time

Sometimes I think the English are more into Christmas than we are, and sometimes I think they are less. It probably just bottles down to a bit of a miscommunication guised by the combination of the English sense of humility combined with their quirkiness. Really they just don't do ostentatious. Let's go through the list.

Let's talk more of my adorable little Christmas tree. While it may not be visible to most passers by, it is there in the front room, and so far I have spotted two other trees on my street. This is not very many considering the number of abodes. There are no Christmas lights in any windows. Although this will change as soon as I get my £19 lights up in the window (which is dependent on me buying packing tape). I am hoping this will inspire neighbors to do the same. Perhaps in the suburbs people cover their houses in lights and have animatronic reindeer and such, but I have yet to see it. I wonder if there is a Peacock Lane type thing somewhere in London?

For a people so allegedly into their Cadbury and generally superior chocolates, there is not nearly as much of it at Christmas as you would expect. They have their Christmas pudding (still have no idea what it is, but it looks like cake) and their mince pies (not to be confused with actual mince meat, which is what they call ground beef). I think the mince pies might involve raisins or something, but no chocolate. Although I am willing to concede the yule log.

Perhaps it's because I haven't been to any malls recently, but I feel like I have no been inundated with repetitive Christmas tunes. This is probably a good thing.

I also sometimes think that their idea of Christmas is a little off. It seems more concentrated on this idea of a Thanksgiving feast than anything. We seem to have the right idea of putting aside eating as a separate holiday, thus allowing us to concentrate on presents and eating chocolate all day. Which in my mind is as it should be. Oh, and this year I shall be putting decorative items on Lizzie and Edgar and making important notes on their different reactions.

Don't even get me started on Boxing Day. As far as I can tell it's just a pause between Christmas and shopping.

6 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

My Brit friends who live in America seem to be more amazed over the lack of boxing day than they are about endless business meetings and gigantic automobiles.

Chris O said...

Firstly don't let Mark's Emsworthisms distract you from Christmas. Christmas dinner is incidental and I can assure you that chocolate consumption commences approximately 8am and continues throughout the day. Presents and junk food are the priority at all times.

Second, we call it mince meat for the beef and mince meat for the fruit-whatever that constitutes mincemeat. As far as I know the difference in name relates only to mince meat or mincemeat. Yes it is that confusing.

Also shops are open on Boxing Day. As far as I'm aware the concept is basically the same as "Black Friday" (if I have the name right or otherwise the day after Thanksgiving)

Buehler Recipes said...

Well, that's the thing. 90% of Americans don't have to go to work on 'Black Friday', but the day after Christmas everything is in full swing again. Even in my cushy government job. What's up with that? It's not civilized.
I'm afraid of mincemeat. It reminds me of the time I ate suet pudding, but only because I was in love. Never again though. Maybe for money, but not for love.

Aaron said...

In case you miss your old workplace, here's a fun quote for you:

"We've got to be able to see if we have structural integrity in the highway," said David Dye, deputy secretary of the Washington State Department of Transportation, according to the AP. "We've got lots of debris, garbage, tires, dead rats everywhere."

Anonymous said...

In case you are wondering about Aaron's comment (good thing you are heading south for your road trip, Big A), I-5 at Chehalis is still closed, and will be at least through the weekend. It's costing $4 million a day in extra shipping fees.

Mincemeat--won't touch it. It's too suspect. I really like English sticky toffee pudding, though!!

Anglo Mango said...

That's it! I'm bringing back mincemeat pies and we're having them on Christmas! No presents until your sample your mincemeat!