Monday, November 05, 2007

The Golden Age of Couture

It's Monday morning again. But never mind that, let's relive my weekend. On Saturday I got my haircut at an 'Aveda concept salon' down the street from my house. It was my 'I got my first paycheck treat' (that along with getting 2 pairs of shoes fixed). It was in many respects bizarrely similar to a Habitude experience. Whilst it was lacking in giant woodsy atmosphere and guy in the waiting area offering hand massages, it had the same tea, the exact same robes and the same pre-haircut head massage with scented oils (but instead of just head, the shoulders were tossed in as well). There was an American girl next to me getting her hair colored by another American, and they were discussing how there just weren't many Americans in London. I wanted to be like, what are you talking about? There are loads! But I didn't.

Yesterday I did something I've been intending to do since the end of September... I went to the special exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum on what was basically 1950s high fashion. Instead of being free as the general exhibits are, it was £5 for a student ticket (my Southampton card does't expire until the end of July 2008) but I thought well worth it. It was, believe it or not, full of women. But the exhibit featured a large quantity of designer fashions from the time, including additional items to put everything in context, compared clothes being made locally at the time to items made in Paris, the undergarments involved, and had clips from fashion shows at the time. There was daywear, cocktail-type dresses, and an extensive evening wear section. Included in the exhibit was one dress worn by the queen on a visit to Paris in the late 1950s, several items owned by Princess Margaret and a few items owned by quite possibly the most famous person who shares my name, Margot Fonteyn. She was a wee one. Anyways, I thought it was an excellent exhibit and well-worth the special trip. Sadly, it was probably one of my favorite special exhibits ever. Followed closely by the Sargent exhibit in Seattle and that German royal family exhibit in Portland.

Oh, and worth noting is that I have had soup the last three days for lunch. Friday it was chicken noodle but with no noodles from Whole Foods, Saturday it was this fabulous Moroccan chicken from Waitrose, and yesterday it was Minestrone from Sainsbury's. I think it may be my new favorite thing. In fact, today I may go hit Tesco and microwave myself up a little something. Or I can go to eat and pay twice as much and have it pre-heated. Hmm. Choices. Mmm. Soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two comments -- #1. You know you are old when there are museum exhibits of fashions worn in your lifetime. #2. I, too, am a big fan of soup for lunch. I bought a big soup bowl with a handle so it's easy to carry from the microwave. And I bought a real soup spoon so I'm not tossing plastic-ware. Yeah me.