Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Woman in Black

A few weeks ago, right after I got paid and was feeling rich and motivated by the 2 for 1 Oyster card offer, I got tickets to see a play. Perhaps primarily for the reason it reminded me of the best ever book, The Woman in White, I decided I wanted to see the Woman in Black. While based on a novel, it was not written by Wilkie Collins.

The Woman in Black is, in my mind at least, a bit different for the West End in that it's a major show that's been running for 18 years, but it's not a musical. While still a theatrical more so than what I term a 'deep thought' play, it's performed with only two actors and the only effects are done with relatively simple light and sound. It's a 'scary' play, but I wasn't too sure what to expect. Oh, and the play was last night.

It was in a small theater on the far side of Covent Garden from Leicester Square, where there is quite a cluster of theaters (it was right across from where they are doing Lord of the Rings, which I certainly have no desire to see). And by small, I mean pretty tiny. The bathroom was the smallest thing ever still managing to have 2 stalls. When I was waiting in line a woman left without washing her hands. I almost said something. Anyways, the Oyster card deal entitled me to get two top price tickets for the price of one, so it was basically the same price as getting two really crappy seats. Instead we were sitting in the 7th row, right in the middle. Of course, there were only about 12 rows on the lower level, but that's besides the point. If for some reason anyone plans on seeing it, I won't reveal much of the plot, but I will say it was very effectively scary and the acting was good. I heartily recommend it for a pleasant evening out. And it wasn't boring at all!!

In other news, I made my first trip to the gym on Monday. It was a little intimidating, but I managed to remember my way around alright. The cardio area was a bustling, and after not having been to a gym since I left Southampton, the treadmill and I didn't get along all that well. When I was leaving there was a girl waiting for a locker to free up (they were all taken by this time), who saw my Beavers tee and asked if I was from Oregon. She was from Seattle (but went to Michigan for school). I'm going for my second whirl this evening. I'm contemplating taking a class but the likelihood of me chickening out is high.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was someone concerned that the play would be boring because it had nothing to do with sports?

mark said...

yeah i was if i was going to be very honest! though to be fair it was actually really really good - like i would of given it an 8 out of 10. I went to see Cabaret a couple weeks back (only because it was the only one with tickets left) and that was really really bad! i think sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont ! Im looking forward to Spamalot in April :-)

Anonymous said...

the woman in white IS the best book ever!