Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ta

Ta - 'thanks'

This word 'ta' has arisen from the depths since I've started working. Before this I have managed to either avoid hearing it, or most likely just avoid noticing it. I received it in a email to from my boss and quite frankly I thought it was some sort of typo as I had no idea what it meant. Since then I have heard it said aloud by people in the office/people in the other offices in the building when you get the door for them. I feel like it's main purpose is to avoid having to thank someone the same way in a repetitive manner. For example, when you take the elevator to leave the building you quickly go through two sets of doors to get to the lobby and then another door to get outside. This means if someone follows you outside the elevator you could be getting three doors for them. I would just mutter a 'thanks' under my breath for each of them. But those anglos are a diverse lot. If you're lucky, you could get a 'thanks', a 'ta', and a 'cheers' all within the space of about 30 seconds!

Speaking of work, yesterday morning we didn't have power for the computers and the heating was broken (we did have power for lights and the elevators were working). Luckily the power on my floor came back around 10:15, as opposed to some of the other floors with had to go out and buy massive extension cords to hook the whole floors up to the small number of outlets that were working. It was bitterly cold and pouring down with rain all day yesterday. Basically everyone was sitting around slightly damp and wearing their coat. I'm predicting an outbreak of pneumonia by the end of the week.

And back in gym news, I met with the personal trainer types on both Saturday and Sunday and now have a little 'routine' I'm supposed to do. I gave it a whirl yesterday and it took over an hour and I was quite sweaty by the end of it. Those trainers don't give you simple tasks, I tell ya. Like, I have to run really fast!

4 comments:

Chris O said...

I'm a personal fan of: "Thank you kindly!" but then I used to watch too much Due South.

Also I want a Diefenbaker...

Anonymous said...

What's your routine? I've been doing the same one for years, and my body seems to have forgotten that I do it. Must be time to change.

Anglo Mango said...

My routine involves 5 minutes warm-up on treadmill, some 'core' excercises, 20 minutes of speed interval on treadmill, 15 minutes of level intervals on cross-trainer, some weights, some stretches, 5 minutes cool-down on cardio machine. I've decided it's very difficult and takes a really long time!

Anglo Mango said...

And by cross-trainer I mean elliptical trainer.