Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Kensington Gardens

We've had our fall time change in England. That means for some reason I SWEAR it gets darker two hours earlier than it did last week. But! And I mean this in the best possible way, it has been very nice, sunny and not too cold during my lunch hours. Being the spry, lunch-packer, office-avoider-on-free-time person that I am, I decided to go for a walk for my lunch hours both on Monday and on Tuesday.

I must admit that I still am finding it truly bizarre that I'm just walking about on my lunch hour and there are tourist milling about, but for these walks I've gone to Kensington Gardens. Kensington Gardens is the largest open green area to Notting Hill Gate, with Holland Park being over twice as far, and quite frankly, kind of creepy. So Kensington Gardens it is. On Monday I walked down to the Albert Memorial and Prince Albert Hall, back up Kensington High Street to Kensington Church Street and back to work. On Tuesday I went in search of the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain and ran out of time before I had to turn back. But whilst searching, I came across tons of pretty fall foliage and was able to spot quite a few bids, such as herons and coots (there was a little plaque telling you what the birds were), in addition to the usual swans, pigeons and gooses. I also came across what they called the Italian Gardens, which was really just four fountains artfully arranged. But still, very nice. And very pretty this time of year!

Today I did not go on a walk. Well, I did sort of. I made a bee-line for Whole Foods. You see, today was my first pay day, and in celebration of actually having income, we opted for expensive, heavy salad bar times. I showed no constraint in piling on roast turkey, tandoori chicken, pasta salad, cous cous and veggie samosa on my healthy salad base. And it only cost me 8 pounds... On the sad side I was too full afterwards to partake in a Whole Foods brownie. Alas. The next Big Lunch Idea is to get soup and baguette. I'm not sure when this day will be, but I await it eagerly. As for tomorrow...perhaps PB&J....

7 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

I envy your walk options. Every morning and afternoon my walking buddies and I pass the stinky brewery, the PCB infested building which is currently being removed, and the cancer care facility. Not to mention our own office building. We've worked here for 8 years and still haven't identified what color it is. Not an uplifting stroll.

mark said...

oooo i dont normally like showing off but its friday afternoon so in a good mood...my walk in the morning (after leaving Margo at Earls Court) involves getting off the tube asap (at Westminster) and the 20 min walk to work takes me past big ben/houses of parliament and the london eye - still look everyday and think 'wow' - the novelty probably wont last much longer though

Anonymous said...

When I think about what I would miss if I quit my job that I've had for 12 years, the first thing is the money, of course, and the second is my walks--out to lunch, through the park, or shopping downtown. I especially like walking along the waterfront, and people watching, watching the festivals being set up, etc. The third thing I'd miss is my co-workers (it's kind of like high school there a lot of the time), and the last thing I'd miss is the actual work (I've been pretty bored the last couple of years). I would not miss the commute at all.

So, you may never get tired of your walks and the sites and people you see, or at least not for quite a few years!!

mark said...

i agree kathy but you forgot a couple key points. firstly the aerial tram, you're almost next door! secondly your work has pool/jelly baby dispenser!

though im guessing the best part is the free car parking downtown!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's true about the free parking. That is a big bonus!

Love the candy machine, too. I'm moving the library down to that floor right next to the employee lounge. I'll be visiting the candy machine often--too often, I'm sure.

The tram is fun, but I haven't taken a ride since you were here.

Anglo Mango said...

I wish my work had a candy machine. Well, I really wish it had a coke machine. How can an 11-story building not have a coke machine? Although it does give me an excuse to get out at lunch everyday.

Aaron said...

My work has no candy or Coke machines, but we have a LOT of wine...