Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Mid-week review

It's Wednesday of week 4 of work. I've sort of slowly passed a number of additional one-year marks: it's been over a year since I've been in England, over a year since I started classes. Well, I guess those are the main ones. Now when people ask me how long I've been here I just say 'oh, a year'. It sounds much more long-term since my old answer of 'oh, just since September' (this is usually accompanied by me point over my shoulder, as if that is where last September was located).

One of my main goals as a working person is to aviod, or at least delay, falling into the working person rut. You get up, go to work, go home, eat, watch tv, go to bed. While I must admit this is what I do most days, I think it's key to mix in random events in mid-week times. Like on Monday, I went to the grocery store. Yesterday I checked out someones new pad in Finsbury Park, which is like the opposite corner of London from here. Today I bought some beans at Starbucks. Tomorrow I shall sample local Thai. Whilst there is something said for the routine, I think that as a new Londoner I have to do my best to take advantage of at least a very small slice of what my surroundings have to offer.

Although I also must admit that I have something of a routine with my work wardrobe. While I change tops everyday (mainly blouses with a few cardigans mixed in), I don't have that many bottoms so I tend to wear a similar set each week. At least once a week I wear my black skirt with black nylons, and another day I wear one of my two lighter skirts with the neutral nylons. The dark grey trousers are worn once a week (wore them yesterday), and then there is usually at least one day involving all or part of a suit. The fifth day (let's call it Friday) is in some ways more of a wildcard. Tomorrow is Thursday and as I haven't worn black skirt yet this week, I think we all know what's coming. And I'm not sure if anyone else ever has this problem, but for some reason when I wear skirts with nylons and blouses tucked in they often times tend to creep up a bit. So you walk to blocks and you have to pull your skirt down so it doesn't end up in your armpits. But this is quite possible just me. Actually tucking doesn't really impact as much as the nylons. Perhaps I best stop talking now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That darn skirt thing. I find it easier to walk and sit in skirts that are more of an a-line, and also try to get ones with a little stretch. If they are lined, too, they tend not to ride up, especially when wearing nylons. Sometimes they shift a bit, so the front is at the side after a long walk. Don't know what to do about that one. Wear tighter clothes? At my age? I don't think so!!

Buehler Recipes said...

Don't wear skirts. Or, don't wear nylons. You could do long skirts and boots with funky half-socks with tassels that hang over the side of your boots. I see that at my office.
I don't wear skirts. But that's a leftover habit from when I used to visit classrooms in the 'hood'. Then I wore Kevlar.

Lisa Katzke said...

My problem is that my skirt twists itself around. So I'll be walking down the street with my bag over my shoulder, and I'll find the zipper from the back of my skirt has crept forward to the front, making my skirt look ridiculous.

It's lovely. This is why I have switched to dresses.