Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hotel Chocolat

So numerous times a week I like to get some fresh air and make sure my feet are nice and pained by walking to Earls Court. I have mentioned this before. What I have no mentioned is what that I walk by this amazing looking chocolate store called 'Hotel Chocolat'.

It's on Kensignton High Street a bit farther down than the thick of the stores on the corner of, well I have no idea what the street is. Anyways, I always look in and everything is all dark and there is a lot of open space like one of those overly expensive clothing stores. Only it's all chocolate. Today I couldn't take it anymore and finally walked in on my way by. There were little bags of plain chocolates and chocolate covered things. Along the wall there were giant pieces of chocolate in varying forms, then big chocolate bars. I stopped at the dark chocolate section and there were SO many different kinds. They all listed both the percentage cocoa, ranging from around 70% to 100%, most around 72%. What I found really odd was that they listed where the cocoa came from, listing the subtle underflavors. Chocolate from one locale had underlying fruitiness, one was whiskey and leather. It was really like a wine shop in this regard. So basically you want to go in there and get all the different kinds of chocolate to try and pick out these flavors. Although I might skip the whiskey and leather. If you wanted that you could always go to a country western bar.

In the back there were three sections: white, milk, dark. Each had selections of 6 truffles and smaller chocolate bars with the base kind of chocolate and all kinds of additions. You could have dark chocolate and ginger, or something with chilli. What finally caught my eye were the white chocolate creme flavors, with real berries involved. There was strawberry creme, rasberry creme, and a rasberry and blackcurrant creme. The rasberry creme won out as the initial chocolate. Needless to say, it will take absolutely ages to even have nibbles of everything worth sampling in this place.

Oh, and I have my ticket to come back for a week at Christmas. I'm taking orders. They've got a website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are country western bars in London?

The chocolates look yummy, but I'm not a fan of chili in my chocolate. It just doesn't make sense.

Buehler Recipes said...

Actually, more Cadbury? I think my ex-patriot brit friend is fond of the crunchy. I will admit to driving to LO to buy mars bars at Lady Di's. Why do they try to keep them from us?

Buehler Recipes said...

I went to the Hotel Chocolat america web site and clicked on hot chocolate. I wonder, are all their models androgynous? That person is scary.
I still want some hot chocolate though.