Monday, April 23, 2007

St Georges Day and Boats


Today is St George's Day, with St George being the patron saint of England. I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. But I get the impression it doesn't mean much. Let's just call it a 'holiday', much like 'Columbus day' is a 'holiday'. Only slightly less politically incorrect.


In other local news, there was/is an uber-giant boat in town. I speak not of the QE2, which left here on Saturday, but an even larger one that came to town yesterday or so. It warranted fireworks. And they only do fireworks around here every other month or so. Although I just heard some more fireworks, so it may just be a busy week.


In more exciting personal news, I have finished Tom Jones, the novel by Henry Fielding. Yes, that's right, all 801 pages, done and dusted (please tell they use that phrase in America, or I have totally lost touch with my people and should feel shame). It only took approximately 7 months (I started it in September). This meant I got to make a trek to Borders yesterday to pick out a new book, bolting straight for the Wilkie Collins section. No, that's not true, I spent a good twenty minutes looking at other stuff first, but I ended up with Wilkie's Armadale. I've read three pages so far and I think it's gold. Although nothing, I fear, will ever be as good as the Woman in White.


Please enjoy really scary picture of me at a bowling alley in Uttoxeter. It allows for some viewing of my haircut and I hope it appeases the masses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Done and dusted?" What?

Unknown said...

I've never heard of that phrase either. However I seem to remember you creating your own phrases.

Anglo Mango said...

Maybe it's English. I'm done for now. Never going to hear the end of it.

Anonymous said...

don't make me call you out on pretending that you're english and forgetting american slang...:-)